Topic: Linux version?

I prefer programming on a Linuy system, and so I downloaded your Linux test build. But unfortunately it doesn't work. My System is Ubuntu 9.04. I tried to start the 2 binaries, but nothing happend. By starting the prog from a terminal I got the following errors:

./MaratisEditor: symbol lookup error: ./MaratisEditor: undefined symbol: _ZGVZN9MaratisUI11getInstanceEvE10m_instance

./MaratisPlayer: symbol lookup error: ./MaratisPlayer: undefined symbol: _ZGVZN11btMatrix3x311getIdentityEvE14identityMatrix

Is there a list of requirements for Linux builds?

Re: Linux version?

Hi,

the error is strange, it's not saying more than that ?

Normally you need a x86 compatible processor, X11 and OpenAL installed,
on ubuntu you can install OpenAL from the software manager, maybe you miss that.

Are you on linux 32bits or 64bits ?

No, not more than the reported error messages.

The computer is quite normal, with a x86 processer, a NVidia graphic card, with a running OpenGL etc. On this system I developed the C rewrite of Tuxracer. And OpenAL is installed, too (libopenal1). It's a 32bit system.

An my second computer I've Ubuntu 11.10 installed. I tried it on that machine, too. It runs !
A little problem with MaratisGame (starting without a game). I couldn't quit and had to stop the program with kill -9 xxxx.

Reinhard

Oh, not to forget: On Ubuntu 11.10 MaratisEditor reports a segfault at terminating. That need not be a serious error, probably a little discrepancy in a destructor?

Are you running the release, or building from svn?

I have Ubuntu on one of my machines at home, I can try and take a look, but I don't remember a segfault when running on Archlinux at all...

Release

it looks like a linking problem with the dynamic libraries, I'm not very familiar with linux systems,
it's possible I didn't built a completely portable release.
It's maybe using a system library that is a different version, the error message doesn't give me a clue,

maybe glibc ?
or maybe the openal-dev package is needed ?

A segfault at the end of a program might indicate that a destructor is called twice. That can happen when a class destructor calls the destructors of all child classes, e.g. in an external library. And if you use such a child class and terminate it explicitly in your main program you have this situation. I'm not sure that all systems report this error, and normally it has no negative effects. Nevertheless it's not proper programming.

But this is only my assumption.

I don't think it's a destructor problem, it would happen when you quit the program but not like that before the program initialization (the command line should have "Maratis" written, and it's not on your error message).

I think this version has been linked with a dynamic library that is more recent or different than the one in your system.
It might work if you compile it in your computer.

I tell you if I find something else.

just what is your version of glibc ? and is the last Blender release working on this machine ?

libc6 2.13

Blender 2.62 runs on this machine without difficulty

I've compiled the sources from the svn trunk: the same error message