Topic: Is it easy for no programmers

I am interesting starting with sidescroller platform and maybe later do some isometric.
Are there enough demos to use as templates...

I do not want to add script lines like in engines like unity to do everything like-loading the normal and specular extra maps for the characters and other.

Do you think maratis3d has today enough systems (predefined if possible)
like smoke spout particles,triggers moving platforms etc to setup easily a small game?

i am a modeler with some older 3ds max versions and hope 3ds max support will be available.
I would script if i had help from forums but i can not do heavy modding or programming things.

Let me know if the engine has long way to go until any no programmer can use it or nor,and thanks in advance.

Last edited by Veleran (2012-05-22 03:27:45)

Re: Is it easy for no programmers

Veleran wrote:

I am interesting starting with sidescroller platform and maybe later do some isometric.
Are there enough demos to use as templates...

I do not want to add script lines like in engines like unity to do everything like-loading the normal and specular extra maps for the characters and other.

Do you think maratis3d has today enough systems (predefined if possible)
like smoke spout particles,triggers moving platforms etc to setup easily a small game?

i am a modeler with some older 3ds max versions and hope 3ds max support will be available.
I would script if i had help from forums but i can not do heavy modding or programming things.

Let me know if the engine has long way to go until any no programmer can use it or nor,and thanks in advance.

With maratis, you can use c++ or lua.
Particles are just now in the process of being added, by user Nistur.

Maratis has nice support for 3dsmax:
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=134

It is usable in its current form by just about anyone, though coding skills are going to be mandatory to get further, although
the nice thing about Lua , is its simple human readable and light. Fairly easy to learn even for non programmers. It's on a level with html, which helps put it in perspective some.

Unlike alot of engines, this has a nice editor which allows placement, rotation, behavioral and instant play features.

Jump in with the binary, try a few things, checkout the tutorials and let us know when you need help.

cheers
gm

Seems i prefer to be restricted doing conversions through simple scripting to demos instead
waiting to find a coder for now.

I will check maratis3d wiki and youtube for tutorial videos maybe .

Since Dxstudio and gamestart3d  are commercial and maybe a little advanced for me ,one of the last other free ones to choose is Unity3d.

I am thinking to check again unity video tutorials to see if there are videos that show just the basic step by step for making the basic systems for a platfomer.
but im backing off from the unity idea because if you dont pay unity3d  you dont get the basics like dynamic shadows and other basic templates to work on.

So,i wanted to learn one engine and try to do small 1$ games with the same engine if possible.

(I was using reality factory until recently
and  there was a gamemaker user in Rf forum also).

All tools were so easy to use and cool in Rf,like triggering moving platforms,events and everything,simple predefined effects and configuration files for weapons ,particles effects,menu,Hud and other.

I had to look for newer engine because rf does not have hardware 3d acceleration,only software render driver so the frame rate was low.

So,if you re sure you can make games without programming,just the lua scripts, that would be good.

Most important is to find bug free 2d-like platformer  templates to do conversion with my own 3d models and change a little  the scripts trap triggers ,basic events etc to get it where i want.

I was checking that unity tutorial ,if you think maratis will be easier and with less scripting  to do the same thing in the video,please let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGe7LsbDPuU

Last edited by Veleran (2012-05-23 02:35:21)

i don´t know how to program in C++ or Lua xD

Well,thank you very much for the comfort and morale raise.if you want to know,I passed from the cryengine3 forum some days ago and they said to me their's is heavy and not suited for beginners,so i am looking elsewhere.

There are not many easy free game engines and i am still  checking devmaster site  list of engines
to find something,(of course there s still maratis which i have not tried yet).

http://devmaster.net/

http://content.gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Engines

of course,i can not do core code changes and re compile,--have not ever done that with any engine.That is for programmers.