Topic: need help with blender.

I've created a small house using a csg program called RealityFactoryPro , exported as a .3ds , and am trying to import it and get everything correct in blender, so I can see what it looks like in maratis. I've imported it into blender, but I can't get textures to show up. Will I have to combine the textures into one ( i can do this using wings3d  easily ) ?

link to file below , used 7zip to zip it up.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22821296/fr02.7z

Any help would be appreciated.....

Re: need help with blender.

never mind....importing it into blender has somehow killed the file..... gonna have to figure out how to do this in blender, i guess.

I tried quickly, there's a problem with the bmp ; for some reason they
didn't show up in blender (converting them to png worked)
but yeah, doing it directly in blender would be better, just to save your nerves to export/import all the time

Resorting to pure blender to make it 'work' in maratis is really a bad mesasage to be sending, given we have a great working exporter for max 2013, and it is THERE , in the max forum that you should be asking for help smile

Someone coming here and not realizing there are such exporters could give them the wrong idea.

Have fun wink

gm

3ds is not the best exchange format, is RealityFactoryPro exporting .obj files or some other format ?

anael wrote:

3ds is not the best exchange format, is RealityFactoryPro exporting .obj files or some other format ?

3DS support in blender isn't all that great to begin with, generaly if I have to import something OBJ is your best bet.

@gamemaker, you misread me. I'm saying that export/import is a really tedious task on the long run, hence suggesting blender.

It seems as though you are suggesting he not use another modeler, just blender, to avoid the hasle of export/import, and that simply seemed a bit counter intuitive to me for other modelers out that simply may not find blender usable. That's why most engines have multiple paths to content smile

I'ts really no big deal, just a observation smile

cu
GM

The problem is...it's going to take me ( and the average user ) months to just learn blender , and then months to learn maratis, well enough to do anything with it.The other two that compete with this are Dxstudio and Shiva.  DX = outdated hunk of junk, and you can't make commercial stuff with Shiva. I'd like to use this. My old game engine was abandoned by its creator.....

I'd rather just learn Maratis than having to toss another layer of difficulty on top of it. smile

Wrapscallion wrote:

The problem is...it's going to take me ( and the average user ) months to just learn blender , and then months to learn maratis, well enough to do anything with it.The other two that compete with this are Dxstudio and Shiva.  DX = outdated hunk of junk, and you can't make commercial stuff with Shiva. I'd like to use this. My old game engine was abandoned by its creator.....

I'd rather just learn Maratis than having to toss another layer of difficulty on top of it. smile

Thankfully Anael is creating code ( should be in place soon in SVN ?) that will allow most formats to come into maratis, namely collada, so that should fix most issues for 3d work, at least in theory depending on the quality of said importer , all working through assimp > maratis.

You can checkout the forum post about it here:

http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=527

Hope this helps. THis should make using your modeler of choice easier, and this should be a fix for most people, as I  too have been hoping for something similar wink

cu wink
Gm