Topic: Is Maratis 100% code?

Ok, this engine seems good, but I don't know if it's 100% code or not. Is it a drag-and-drop layout like UDK, or is it all C++ and/or Lua code? Obviously you'd want to have 3D models made in something like Blender, but you'd load them up in the code.

I'm not too familiar with Blender, or any 3D modelling program. Blender seems to be the most used, so is there a quick guide on how to get setup with it?

Basically what I'm asking is: Is this all code or is it a GameMaker? I hate those sorts of things. People should be forced to code their game if they want to make one, not use all these cheats like GameMaker or UDK or something that only use little to no code.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

Re: Is Maratis 100% code?

I'm not sure what is your exact question,
but, except replicating a ready-made gameplay,
you need programming to make a video-game.

To code a game with Maratis you can use lua and c++
depending on the level of complexity or the design you want,
in general lua is used for scene logic when c++ is used to make complex behavior
or customize the rendering.

For modeling, I officially supports Blender because it's powerful, free and open-source,
but you can also import collada files or others 3d files (.obj, .x, ogre .xml, md3...).
See the tutorials for more details on maratis website and wiki.

I personally think that people shouldn't be forced to code to make a good game. If I didn't have to code a single thing, and my game turned out exactly how I wanted it to be, that would be the best game engine.

Coding should be invisible, and the EXPERIENCE should be the focus. Although I see there is a certain amount of pride a person gets from coding a software that the DRAG-N-DROPPER perhaps wouldn't. But if the result is the same....

GameMaker actually allows two different outlets. You can drag and drop OR you can code. Of course the coding gives you more ''freedom''.

However, I would love a system where a game can be made with 100% no code with the same amount of freedom.

I actually have the foundation for such a system, and it is awesome that Maratis allows me to test my ideas.

Little Big Planet and Disney Infinity have the right ideas, but they are a bit too GAMEY.

A cross between Maratis and those would be ideal to me.

It's possible to make a good game without programming, but like I said before it only works for already existing game-play, it need logic bricks, and this logic bricks need to be programmed.

A new concept needs programming, but it generally means a programmer in the team, because a good game-designer and level-designer don't need to write code, they need bricks, behaviors and variables.

Everything depends what you need to do and who do what, that's why planning is so important in my opinion.

I actually started making game when I was a teenager using something called "Click and Play" and the second version "The game factory" where all the logic was made using a table (more or less like an excel table with action > reaction)
And I liked that, but it was only working till a point because there was no way to add a new logic brick by actually coding.

So it really depends of the needs.

Currently everyone using Maratis is building its own bricks/behaviors and in some way we are all wasting a lot of time as we certainly have the same basic needs and coding the same basic stuff (player/camera behavior, enemy behavior, particle emitters, fight, ...).

That's why I was really enthusiastic with Nistur's MScriptableBehavior plugin because we could have shared some game logic in a friendly way, giving ready-to-use bricks that can be easily tweaked, satisfying both beginners and seasoned programmers.

Yes it needs more bricks, for now there is only the look-at and follow behavior by default,
it's planned in the TODO list for some time already (Additional behaviors : simple AI, ready-made player...)
see wiki : http://wiki.maratis3d.org/index.php?title=Roadmap

It will grow slowly as Maratis gets more popular.

But if we had more bricks, the community could grow faster, that's why I advocate lua behaviors/bricks as an intermediate/transition step. The shorter the learning curve, the more people will stay on board after a short evaluation of what can be achieved and with what easness.
And maybe porting robust lua scripts to C++ is more easy than writing them from scratch.

Last edited by com3D (2013-08-11 19:21:23)

I think a unified system for sharing C++ plugins would be very important. It could be done on a source level (i.e. sharing archives with *.cpp and *.h files that integrate into an existing source tree) or on a binary level (i.e. platform specific *.a files or *.lib files that have to be included into the link process). Both assume that there is only place for one plugin in a game. It could be solved differently when having the possibility to load multiple binary plugins.

Sponk

The multiple plugin system is good for sharing behaviors and script extension,
there is two unresolved problems, and that's why I disabled it before finding a good approach.

- The first is linked to MGame, it's possible to create a custom class that override the default one, which is good when using a single plugin, but when using multiple plugins it means that one plugin can override a previous plugin custom class.

There is some options, like finding a way to block access to the game class if the plugin is not THE game plugin, by checking the name of the plugin at loading time, but it's not hack proof. The other would be to enable the use of multiple game class, but it poses the problem of the update order and multiple similar calls.

- The second is the separation between the editor and the game, some "tool" plugins should be only used inside the editor and not published with the game, and some things that an editor plugin could access should not be accessed by a game plugin.

It's an important feature to be able to load multiple plugins, I feel a bad to block the feature for now but this two questions needs to be handled before, I'm still thinking about it, Nistur is also working on it.

com3D wrote:

Currently everyone using Maratis is building its own bricks/behaviors and in some way we are all wasting a lot of time as we certainly have the same basic needs and coding the same basic stuff (player/camera behavior, enemy behavior, particle emitters, fight, ...).

That's why I was really enthusiastic with Nistur's MScriptableBehavior plugin because we could have shared some game logic in a friendly way, giving ready-to-use bricks that can be easily tweaked, satisfying both beginners and seasoned programmers.

That's part of the reason I'm working on the customizable game script. Mainly to help me make things faster. One thing I need however is a particle system.

I don't quite know how to use plugins yet.

Tutorial Doctor wrote:
com3D wrote:

That's part of the reason I'm working on the customizable game script. Mainly to help me make things faster. One thing I need however is a particle system.

I don't quite know how to use plugins yet.

Plugins aren't difficult at all, you should do yourself a favor and do some reference work, given you've 'come this far', don't stop now wink

Sorry I got busy and had to post to avoid not doing it at all,,so now that I've done that and have a TINY bit more time...:

http://www.maratis3d.org/?p=500

NOt to be   redundant, but start there, though I'm not sure what you m ean by 'don't know how to use them', but anyway the conversation continues.

Cheers/have fun!
hs