Topic: Spelling for "meshes" folder

I apologize if this seems silly.

Is there a way we could change the naming convention for the "meshs" folder so that it's either "mesh" or "meshes"? "Meshs" is not proper English. Was there a reason that name was chosen?

Last edited by sunnystormy (2014-02-11 19:56:00)

Re: Spelling for "meshes" folder

sunnystormy wrote:

I apologize if this seems silly.

Is there a way we could change the naming convention for the "meshs" folder so that it's either "mesh" or "meshes"? "Meshs" is not proper English. Was there a reason that name was chosen?

+1

I have been a little bit annoyed by that too... smile

I've sorta gotten used to

While we're on the topic: Changing "maps" to "textures" would make it slightly more intuitive. Sure, I understand that it's short for "texturemaps", but coming from other engines my first thought before looking closely was "why does the project have both a level and a map directory?".

Was there a reason that name was chosen?

A "not so good in english" french developer ? smile

Changing the default folders can cause some incompatibility with previous projects if not implemented correctly,
the examples and documentation will also need to be checked and updated. I'm not sure the trouble is worth it.

But, the folder names are only important for the publishing process,
it parses each specific folders to transform the files in binary or to add them to the package.

It's also used (in a cosmetic way) by the file browser in maratis editor :
"add entity" opens the meshs/ folder by default
"add sound" the sounds/ folder
etc

The Assimp importer also converts files directly inside the meshs/ folder.

Till you publish, you can actually use different folder names and everything will work,
you will just have to browse more folders when you import meshes.

So, let's say this naming convention is really a problem, I can force the publishing process to look at
all the folders inside the project instead of the current names. But, it will be a bit slower so I'm not sure it's worth it either.

The last option would be to specify the name of each folder in the maratis project file, so older projects could still use the current names, and the editor will be able to use the correct default folder when browsing files.

I appreciate your sense of humor about it, Anael. smile

I understand this is a cosmetic issue, and that most of the folders are already referenced by the engine for various things. It's fine.

Now that I think about it, I feel like an idiot for mentioning it.

don't, it's a valid point, I'm just showing the pros and cons