Topic: Compiling Maratis on Visual Studio/C++ 2010

I've been arguing with getting Maratis to build with Visual Studio/C++ 2010. On my work PC (during lunch, of course) it will build using scons VC's 'cl'. At home I only have Visual C++ 2010 Express which doesn't seem to like running cl from the command line.

There appear to be 2 problems with whatever VC2010 does. The first thing is, the post build step for the project Maratis seems to be failing. I assume this would be that one of the steps is failing, possibly due to the file already being there and prompting to overwrite. I haven't really looked into this properly, I copied the files manually and removed the post build step.

The second thing is that VC2010 defaults to using $(TARGET) for debugging whatever you've compiled, whereas the linker saves to build\$(ProjectName)Debug.exe. I assume in previous versions $(TARGET) got updated to whatever the linker spits out. I have tried changing the Output Directory and Target Name options, which gets the debugger to start running the executable, but the actual executable doesn't seem to have been built properly.

Annoyingly, Visual Studio also doesn't seem to save the Debugger properties which is frustrating.
EDITI've been arguing with getting Maratis to build with Visual Studio/C++ 2010. On my work PC (during lunch, of course) it will build using scons VC's 'cl'. At home I only have Visual C++ 2010 Express which doesn't seem to like running cl from the command line.

There appear to be 2 problems with whatever VC2010 does. The first thing is, the post build step for the project Maratis seems to be failing. I assume this would be that one of the steps is failing, possibly due to the file already being there and prompting to overwrite. I haven't really looked into this properly, I copied the files manually and removed the post build step.

The second thing is that VC2010 defaults to using $(TARGET) for debugging whatever you've compiled, whereas the linker saves to build\$(ProjectName)Debug.exe. I assume in previous versions $(TARGET) got updated to whatever the linker spits out. I have tried changing the Output Directory and Target Name options, which gets the debugger to start running the executable, but the actual executable doesn't seem to have been built properly.

Annoyingly, Visual Studio also doesn't seem to save the Debugger properties which is frustrating.
EDIT: If I can get VC2010 to build and debug nicely, I will share my solution. At the moment, most of the changes have to be done every time sad

Last edited by Nistur (2012-01-10 11:10:52)

Re: Compiling Maratis on Visual Studio/C++ 2010

I only have vc 2005, and Microsoft has the good idea to change the structure of the project files each time they release a new version... There is maybe some conversion problems, I never tried vc 2010...

Davide, who made the scons build system, told me it was possible to use scons to build but to run it using visual and be able to debug. I can try to contact him if you want ?

I've been able to use scons on my work machine. I think it might be a limitation of VC++ Express that I can't use it at home.

I have something working at least. It's not important. I just thought I would write my findings in case other people had problems with it.

As it's new trick, Visual Studio has just decided to remove all the "filters"(/directories) in the solution explorer. Now I just have a huge mess of files. GAH! Ahh well. I will sort that later

Last edited by Nistur (2012-01-10 22:13:02)

that's stored in a file with your project. if this file get's deleted then this happens.

Something I forgot to add to my source control then. Thanks

anael wrote:

I only have vc 2005, and Microsoft has the good idea to change the structure of the project files each time they release a new version... There is maybe some conversion problems, I never tried vc 2010...

Davide, who made the scons build system, told me it was possible to use scons to build but to run it using visual and be able to debug. I can try to contact him if you want ?

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
==---------------

I'm rebuilding, having changed $OUTPUT dir.: No luck ;(
---------------- Continue below to original post

I suspect most people are going to be using at the very least, 2008 give the age of 2005 ? ( though yes, some projects have SDK's for 2005 as well)

I'm using the latest 2010 ( given 2011 is a beta), and having zero luck getting maratis compiled. One issue, is that the 'libs' aren't being found; specifically it mentions mcore.lib The includes are there, but when I try to compile, I get 0 of 4 successful.

I get these errors trying:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Targets(511,5): error MSB8008: Specified platform toolset (v110) is not installed or invalid. Please make sure that a supported PlatformToolset value is selected.
I get that &:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(990,5): warning MSB8012: TargetPath(C:\Users\Documents\Maratis3d\maratis-read-only\trunk\dev\Projects\VisualStudio2010\Release\MaratisPlayer.exe) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (C:\Users\Documents\Maratis3d\maratis-read-only\trunk\dev\Projects\VisualStudio2010\build\MaratisPlayer.exe). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'MCore.lib'
  ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 4 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ========== < lastly, of course this.

I don't know, but I suspect most are using svn and attempting to build in very likely 2010, but that's a guess.

I wonder why you are still using 2005 ?

If we conclude that most people are using , what, 2008 at the very least I think it would give consistency if the author is meeting that minimum ?

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/562378-vc- … ge__st__20 < though hardly the god of developing, indicates that most are using 2010, not 2005. Thought about 2011 too, as it has some very slick deving tools for metro apps.

cheers
gm

Last edited by VeganDev (2012-05-07 01:52:17)