Topic: Maratis not compiling in 2010 or 2011

I'm using the latest 2010 ( given 2011 is a beta), and having zero luck getting maratis compiled. One issue, is that the 'libs' aren't being found; specifically it mentions mcore.lib The includes are there, but when I try to compile, I get 0 of 4 successful.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I am using the downloaded SVN from sourceforge.net

I get these errors trying:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Targets(511,5): error MSB8008: Specified platform toolset (v110) is not installed or invalid. Please make sure that a supported PlatformToolset value is selected.
I get that &:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(990,5): warning MSB8012: TargetPath(C:\Users\Documents\Maratis3d\maratis-read-only\trunk\dev\Projects\VisualStudio2010\Release\MaratisPlayer.exe) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (C:\Users\Documents\Maratis3d\maratis-read-only\trunk\dev\Projects\VisualStudio2010\build\MaratisPlayer.exe). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'MCore.lib'
  ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 4 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ========== < lastly, of course this.

Thanks anyone wink

gm

Last edited by VeganDev (2012-05-08 21:43:50)

Re: Maratis not compiling in 2010 or 2011

hi,
is this from running scons or when compiling from the visual studio solution ?

anael wrote:

hi,

Hi Anael,

I am using SVN from sourceforge.net

THis is from visual studio 2010.

I could not even get scons installed, given it could not find my installed python, even though its setup in PATH.

cheers
gm

Last edited by VeganDev (2012-05-08 21:45:15)

gamemaker wrote:
anael wrote:

hi,

Hi Anael,

I am using SVN from sourceforge.net

THis is from visual studio 2010.

I could not even get scons installed, given it could not find my installed python, even though its setup in PATH.

cheers
gm

SOrry to bump this, but has no one else has tried SVN and had no opinion on this. Either you tried and compiled just fine or it didn't, but either way, and regardless that ( thanks to nistur) Nistur has a awesome tutorial for premake4) there are other avenues to a successful compile, but atm its not documented as default, so new devs would be using SVN as it is and possibly seeing the same errors ? There are few options here, because while I did install python 27, scons still can't find the python install, and the path IS correct for python. So scons is out, leaving me nowhere, if I follow the current documented default compile path for maratis.

cheers
gm/nl

Last edited by VeganDev (2012-05-12 15:44:05)

Hi,

I tried again scons on my window and I don't have errors, but I'm still on windows XP AND using visual studio 2005,
are you using vista or 7 ?

There is maybe path system or user authorization that doesn't work the same as xp.

Just in case if you can read this : http://groups.google.com/group/mongodb- … ff4d?pli=1
> Be sure that python and scons are both 32bit or both 64bits.

And about visual 2010, Microsoft is not supporting the transition from previous versions very well,
I guess some settings need to be updated manually, but I don't have a version of visual 2010, nobody there tried ?

anael wrote:

Hi,

I tried again scons on my window and I don't have errors, but I'm still on windows XP AND using visual studio 2005,
are you using vista or 7 ?

There is maybe path system or user authorization that doesn't work the same as xp.

Just in case if you can read this : http://groups.google.com/group/mongodb- … ff4d?pli=1
> Be sure that python and scons are both 32bit or both 64bits.

And about visual 2010, Microsoft is not supporting the transition from previous versions very well,
I guess some settings need to be updated manually, but I don't have a version of visual 2010, nobody there tried ?

I am using Windows 8 Consumer Preview which is rock solid so far, but I'm having no issues with any other apps or games so far.

The path is the same as with windows 7, because while the metro ui is distinct with windows 8, there is the regular desktop ( short of start menu) for other things.

There is no amd64 version for scons, so I guess scons is out, as I have no desire to resinstall python, given its not causing me any problems.

Regarding vs2010, someone has already fixed 2010, a member here, but it's not my place to say who, I should let them discuss that , because I respect their hard work on this.

cheers
gm

Last edited by VeganDev (2012-05-13 14:46:06)

I hear people have been talking about me here! tongue
I do appreciate gm waiting for me to mention things rather than just drop my name in here, but just in future gm: I don't mind in the slightest wink

I've had a huge job getting scons to work in the past. At work I have python2 installed and running properly on Win7, but it took probably half a day when I started, getting that and a few other things set up. I don't know why python's so awkward to set up. It does work on Win7 (x64), python2.7 and with Visual Studio 2010 (not the express one). On my home computer, which is Win7 x64, python2.7 and Visual C++ Express 2010, it just falls over. I honestly don't know why, I had a fiddle and it just ends up complaining about not being able to find cl I think, even though it told me previously exactly where it was...

With regards to VS2010 solution, I have done this and it (mostly) works. If you want to grab it, it's along with the source package I made which has the WIP plugin stuff with it. I wish I could remember exactly what I had to do to make it work, so I could describe what strange changes MS made with VS2010, but I can't. It still complains about the fact that output files are actually written to a different folder than it expects, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I believe all you would have to do to get it working with an svn checkout of the code is to copy the VisualStudio2010 folder to the correct place, but this might end up with you building MGui as a dll rather than compiling it into the Maratis/MaratisPlayer executables.

I think that potentially the current layout is not ideal. I have absolutely nothing against python or scons in principle. The issue here is that Maratis doesn't come with python

Last edited by Nistur (2012-05-13 16:39:29)