Topic: Making a game

I am making a sports game, that will use several 2d menu's. I was wondering if anyone has found any good tools for making menu's. Or am I stuck trying to make them in a 3d prog?

Re: Making a game

As far as i know there is close to no programs that focus on GUI making,
The closer i could find is :

Zpaint
SkinMan Originally made for virtual instruments GUI design
Inkscape Looks very capable of making good GUIs

or if you don't want to start from the begginning you could also check some stuff at Open Game Art for example, then adapt them to your needs

Good luck !

Hey, thanks for the info Vegas. I appriciate it.

No problem. oh and i forgot about Pencil Project , this is purely application oriented  but it worth a look also

Ender wrote:

I am making a sports game, that will use several 2d menu's. I was wondering if anyone has found any good tools for making menu's. Or am I stuck trying to make them in a 3d prog?

You say stuck, as if its a bad thing ;)heh

Seriously speaking and pragmatically as well, learn 3d if you haven't already.

It's not that difficult, and you will need the skill, unless you have lots of money or coercion skills to get someone ELSE
todo it for you..good luck on that! wink

If you don't like blender, there are tons of choices like art of illusion ( which I love) and truespace which I find absolutely fascinating and awesome.

Both are easily found googling, and both are free and you can easily extend both if you wish.

Personally I think truespace, which Microsoft no longer in involved with at all, is stunning software, and if you have a current half way decent machine, its stunning. THe interface may take a bit of getting used to,but after that using it to make things is stunningly fast.

Blender is prob. a favorite here along with 3ds max given the awesome exporter the forum author has made for max , and he deserves a lot of credit for doing it.

If you have max, I urge you to use that,but if not and blender isn't to your liking as its not mine personally, I found truespace to be stunning and highly functional and powerful:

http://www.united3dartists.com/forum/index.php

Other 3d options as vegas noted are adequate if you don't want anything fancy I guess, but 3d is always a good thing to have under your belt wink

cu
gm

I do know how to do some 3d with blender, and 3d max. It's more that right now I would rather focus on coding. I hate making menu's in general. It is very hard for me sense I am colorblind like a dog. However I do have a friend that will do it for me. I'm also a bit impatient, and I won't see my friend for a few days. It's not a bad thing, Just an other obstacle to overcome. For me it is a lesson in patients. All will be well though.
Thanks for the replies all It is nice to have a group that doesn't mind answering some questions. I am sure i will have more.