Topic: Newbie And some questions

hello there first of all let me introduce myself
i mostly use unity and have many small games (not commercial though)

i always had this feeling to make my own game engine (small one for starters)
i liked Maratis it is pretty clean and awesome and readable
so i thought rather than writing the whole engine i could use maratis as starters and add my own libraries to it (which i like and i know )
let me ask you something

1-is it possible to use ogre 3d with maratis and how ? , dont get me wrong Renderer is pretty good but i have some knowledge with ogre 3d and i would like to utilize it here , i know the procedure of getting ogre here but idk the work from the maratis side any tips will be helpful 

2-i would like to understand the engine core more is there any source or tutorial any kind (i am kinda noobie in engine dev but i like it big_smile) and as i see the wiki is full empty sad

3- how powerfull is Maratis actually can someone with knowledge create a assainss creed clone
(by that i mean main game play mechanics and not the full actual gameplay)

4 how flexible is maratis actually , can i use different libraries?

5 who made maratis actually? (awesome person)

6 how do you publish games in maratis

i am more in a process of making a engine right now but sometime i would go back to create games again anyway i have a little knowledge of c++ and i am learning every day so thank you for this thing (the day i become a good programmer i will try my best to return the help XD)
Hoping for replies and thank you for reading the post and this awesome open source software, hope i did not irritate anybody

Re: Newbie And some questions

For questions 5, Anaël Seghezzi made Maratis. He has information about him here: http://anael.maratis3d.com/
He's always helping out around the forums so he might be able to answer the other questions. But for question 6, go to File, Publish Project and the published version will be created in the 'published' folder in your project directory. The process is different for iPhone, there is an ongoing discussion on that in the Engine section of the forums.

Almighty Laxz wrote:

For questions 5, Anaël Seghezzi made Maratis. He has information about him here: http://anael.maratis3d.com/
He's always helping out around the forums so he might be able to answer the other questions. But for question 6, go to File, Publish Project and the published version will be created in the 'published' folder in your project directory. The process is different for iPhone, there is an ongoing discussion on that in the Engine section of the forums.

Okay thanks yeah i saw the admin i never thought he is the one 0.0
but when i click the publish nothing comes in the publish folder
anyone else who can answer all my questions ? thank you appreciate it

@minimalist running shoeab what the hell  are you talking about, shoes?

Last edited by Crucio777 (2012-11-01 06:37:19)

One more question if people don't mind me asking can i publish my games to mac and linux?

Yes, you can but I think you have to have those OS to be able to publish on them as 'Publish Project' only publishes the version for the OS you are currently using.

Hi,
welcome on the forum,

1 - You could link ogre in theory, but Maratis itself is a 3d engine so it won't really be of any benefit (better to use Ogre alone at this point).

2 - The wiki is still in progress, there is some documentation for the script, but not much about the engine.
The best is to parse the svn code. Basically there is the engine : MCore + MEngine ; a gui lib : MGui ; and Maratis (MaratisEditor + MaratisPlayer). MCore is the core including all the basic libs (like a render engine), MEngine is a full game engine (objects, scenes, mesh system etc).

You can use MCore alone or MCore+MEngine alone, or from the Maratis editor.
Parse the docs and examples here : http://www.maratis3d.org/?page_id=53

3 - It's pretty capable. After you have to be aware that a game like assassins creed is 300 peoples and more than 10 millions euros of budget. The limitation is more this one than Maratis capabilities. You can code additional behavior in c++ to extend Maratis, to create AI for example, every gameplay is possible and there is a visual editor.

4 - You can add external lib and extend the engine by writing a game plugin in c++ (add custom behavior, special game class etc)
Look at tutorial "How to create a game plugin"

5 - I spend more than 8 years working on it before publishing it in open-source, it is now improved by contributors, donators, a lot of nice people : )

6 - If your game is made using the editor, there is a button to publish the game. You can also use MaratisPlayer by hand. Or if you want to control all the process you can publish a game using your own modified application that use Maratis SDK (look at "ManualUse" example on svn).

okay the only reason i want to use ogre 3d coz its a very powerfull engine which can render to both directx and opengl. and if i use any engine i dont want to get into render coding ,i loved how maratis is designed i havent actually compared the render engine of maratis 3d i assumed that ogre 3d is better as an render engine (coz they are only focusing on the render engine ) as a whole maratis is pretty awesome , even though ill research more to see if maratis has the render features which i need :-)

dont worry i am not making assasins clone..........yet.(i know my limitations it will beba crappy clone anyway

if i may ask what does maratis still needs to compete as a big engine(features mainly) so i could work on them someday when i understand the.engine

thank you for this sweet engine anael and people who have worked on it aswell and thank you guys for responding

btw i am using my mobile so sorry for typos and if i come out as rude aftwr reading this.

Last edited by Crucio777 (2012-11-01 20:58:52)

Hey i see no one has answered yet but i would like to ask one last thing if i may if i make a game with maratis do i have to make it open source ?

Hi,

the engine is zlib licensed, so you don't have to make your game open-source.
Just keep in mind that the editor is GPL licensed, so if you use code from the editor or if you modify the editor, it has to be GPL too. (the license terms are on top of each files)

About your previous question,
we are not trying to compete directly with big engines (we can't), but to stay light and flexible (and still fast).
Majority of big engines are very fast because they use very specific approach that are not very flexible and follow a market standard : today is the realistic deferred rendering technique with outside sun light, sky simulation, single shadow, ambiant occlusion...

the features that are missing now for pure performance are particle system, LOD (level of detail), possibly deferred rendering (if the game needs lot of dynamic lights). Though it can be added using a c++ game plugin if the game needs it.

The current development priority are particle system, collada, lod, editor improvements...

Thank you for the answers big_smile

Crucio777 wrote:

okay the only reason i want to use ogre 3d coz its a very powerfull engine which can render to both directx and opengl. and if i use any engine i dont want to get into render coding ,i loved how maratis is designed i havent actually compared the render engine of maratis 3d i assumed that ogre 3d is better as an render engine (coz they are only focusing on the render engine )

I have lots of experance with Ogre. And its true that Ogre in terms of features is more advanced than maratis in some ways. BUT! wink Maratis is capable  of the same with the right shaders, and a partical effects engine. I like to think of Maratis as an open source Unity3D.  Also Ogre doesnt come with built in Physics(Bullet), and 3D Audio(OpenAL) support or Scripting(Lua) not to mention actualy getting your art from the Pipeline (Blender) is a serious pain in the a@# with Ogre and very very easy with Maratis.

yeah i gave up ogre 3d a long time ago