Topic: large terrain in editor only shows flat components

HI ,

I'm having some trouble with very large scaled terrain ( trying to implement something unique is all ) ( scaled in blender) and I am wondering something. I checked all the latest releases going back to 3.1 , and Im not seeing any mention of the scaling code you mentioned having been placed in any subsequent release. Did I miss it or is it just not quite ready?

I tried splitting mesh up and that didn't to make any difference. I have other large terrains that are working. This mesh however is unique in that its larger than anything I"ve tried to date, but its 'z' values are also rather high. Is this causing all the mesh to not be visible short of low laying areas ?

I can post a screenshot if needed.

Cheers
Gm

Re: large terrain in editor only shows flat components

Hi, I'm not sure to understand, is the terrain not correctly visible for some parts ?
Is it a bounding box problem ? send me a screenshot to give me a better idea.

In the meanwhile, try to clear the terrain matrix in Blender to be sure that the bounding box is ok :

http://www.maratis3d.com/tmp/blender.jpg

Ok sorry, I got your replyto email, and while im not sure how to fix it in blender,ill look into it.

EDIT EDIT: I did some quick sleuthing,and I very much see what happened...I separated mesh incorrectly is all, so thx for helping me with that Anael wink

thx
Gm

I have another issue, relating to a non sub-meshed terrain , exported as .mesh into maratis, and though the camera setup is perfect as in left, right fwd and back, - moving around still shows no height  whatsoever, and this has a very high spire in it as you know from my email, etc.

What could be causing this ?

I checked the .mesn file, and there are no issues that I can see atm.

Also the current maratis scene in question ( only one level atm), has 4 lights, so I should be seeing light during play, but as well, the entire terrain mesh is flat as far as visuals go, and I made sure by moving around alot, and its just flat and dark.

I just tested with another mesh,making sure rotation and scale were applied, and that no submesh show anywhere , which they do not, and I still get all flat, non lit terrain, where movement works just fine.

I also, to be sure I wasn't imaging all of this <ha>, and tested same mesh in anther engines editor,and it shows up fine there, so Im stumped.

Thx
Gm

OK everyone..Bitpuffin and I got this figured out ( he thought of it though, but teamwork!),,

Had to change camera far clip in maratis editor, then EVERYthing showed up fine:)

Whew...what a relief.

But there is one tiny issue..I had to set clip far ( my mesh is like, 9kx9k in blender; ya I know...its HUGE but I meant it to be LOL) to at least 5000.0 to even get the shorter items in my mesh to even show up initially when I press pacman..it takes 8000 to be better, but 10000.00 to be what seems like perfect in letting everything show up as it does in blender .

If we have 10 BU's =1 MU, then why this disparity in needed camera far clip ?

Regardless..I 'm SO happy I finallly resolved this, as now I can move forward with level design and coding/scripting.

EDIT EDIT: OK, discussed this with nistur, and the jury is in that clipping plane is linear, meaning that while 5000 was mostly enough to see entire mesh at z=0, that given center of my mesh is 9000z, that I needed higher value to see all.

Gm