Topic: MRecast

Right. I have said repeatedly I don't have time to do it... but my curiosity got the better of me. I have begun
github

Right now, it does absolutely nothing. I've just made it all compile and link together into a plugin. I was considering breaking it into two separate plugins (MDetour for the nav-mesh and MRecast for the actual pathfinding, then in future maybe make a MAI that includes both, plus some standard AI stuff) but for now I'm just compiling it all into MRecast.

Before I go any further, I want to say that I still don't have a huge amount of time available right now, so I wouldn't usable results in the near future.

To make things go a bit quicker, it would be useful if people could perhaps provide some use cases for me. If possible that would be a Maratis project, with a level mesh and some sort of character. If I get a couple to work, I can add them to the project (with permission) as examples. Obviously the simple things will come first, but if I could also get some more advanced features then the plugin can (eventually) aim to accomodate them. Things such as doors and jump points.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to represent the nav mesh in some way in the editor, but I don't think there's any way (yet) to render specifically for the editor. There's also the fact that Detour will decimate the level mesh into a much simpler nav mesh. When running in the editor, it makes sense to do this on loading the level (causing a noticable loading time) however when published, ideally we'd want to load the navmesh, so I think I'm going to have to finally get around to extending the publishing system so we can build the navmesh during the publishing

Last edited by Nistur (2013-07-16 08:27:15)

Re: MRecast

Again great news from you, Nistur big_smile

What do you think of setting up 2 levels based on the examples provided with Recast sources and putting Jules in them.
In this way we could replicate the examples and test if they behave as expected in Maratis.
An we could enhance further later after validation.

Yeah, I guess that would probably work. I was just a bit cautious of making something without "real world" use cases I would potentially be working on something that would only work in the lab and not in the wild. But it would serve as a start, I guess smile

Nistur, I was meaning importing the RecastDemo meshes (dungeon & nav_test) in Maratis, putting Jules in the scene and setting basic zoom & rotation to navigate in the scene.

How can I upload the resulting Maratis project to the forum ???

Last edited by com3D (2013-07-18 17:35:38)

That sounds like it would work. I've got a couple of other things to sort right now, but I can take a look at sample scenes soon.

There's no way to upload to this forum, but any file host should do. Possibly the best might be a shared folder on a Dropbox account?

Great, I'm looking forward for news from you.