Topic: Ideal rig for maratis from blender?

What would be an ideal rig for maratis 3d , i just learned that cookie flex rig cannot be used for game engines that got me thinking that even rigs have to be designed to match game engines (before i only thought i had to take care of poly and now this)
Anyway i have also heard morphs (i dont even know what morphs are )doesn't work for unity , So recently i have started learn rigging (got this dvd from blender foundation humane rigging quite good!) and then i will eventually learn animation , before animation i would like to design best rigs possible for game engines and especially maratis because i plan to use it for my game this year

Long story short :
So What will be the "Best" rig for Maratis ? any bone limitations for 1 rig Any info on this will be appreciated
Thank you for reading

Re: Ideal rig for maratis from blender?

Hi,

the main thing is to be sure the skinning is using vertex groups and not envelopes,
for the rig itself, try to keep the armature simple (keep in mind that it will be realtime in your game).

I'm not sure about the use of inverse-kinematic, but normally it should not be too restrictive because the animation keys are baked by the exporter.

drivers and constraints is it okay if we use them? i am sorry i really didnt understand what you said for ik, its used a lot in rigging ,so will ik rigs be fine for maratis 3d  ? thank you though i understood a little what i need to do
ill look into this more
please answer the above two questions,  thank you!

I'm not 100% sure because I never tested drivers and constraints.

I think it should be ok because the exporter just bake all frames, but I'll suggest you do a little test using an armature with constraints to check if it works with the exporter.

Crucio777 wrote:

drivers and constraints is it okay if we use them? i am sorry i really didnt understand what you said for ik, its used a lot in rigging ,so will ik rigs be fine for maratis 3d  ? thank you though i understood a little what i need to do
ill look into this more
please answer the above two questions,  thank you!

I actually just finished an IK rig. I am going to throw a little animation on it and see if I can get it into Maratis. Then I am going to report back.

EDIT: IK rigs WORK JUST FINE!! It seems as long as the drivers are moving the armature (as the armature itself has to be the thing animated) it will work.

However, I keyframed the IK bone, which is part of my rig. I don't know if I can keyframe the driver and still get it to work. I just learned how to rig today, so I am not good with drivers and such things.

Now... If only I can create a decent animation. hehe.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-08-21 07:27:06)

Drivers and constraints (including IK) work perfectly fine.

I'm currently modifying the Blender export addon so that we can optionaly skip the "control" bones (all bones that are not part of the main basic armature) at export. And It works perfectly either.

Now I just have to make it more versatile, as it doesn't work if one bone of the main armature is parented to a skipped bone (I never use this kind of rigg, but some people do).

Last edited by com3D (2013-08-21 12:10:48)