Topic: Wiki - generic Maratis overview

After having done some specific tuts I was thinking of making something more generic, an overview of Maratis source/editor/structure, as was suggested, but I have no idea how to go about that.
Open to suggestions.

Re: Wiki - generic Maratis overview

If you are the one that did the c++ tuts, thank you for adding to the maratis wiki, but I just looked , and granted Im FAR from being even somewhat 'comfy' with c++ ( though very comfy now with lua) , and I find this page:

http://wiki.maratis3d.org/index.php?title=MOEntity , to be a bit unclear. How can ( and why would you?) a entity be a entire room/environment thus having direct relation to a 'mesh' ? Im just trying to think of a time where that might come in handy and coming up empty. Just asking for some clarification given I think? you are the one that created this given you noted you had just done some tuts.

thx
hs

A room can be a mesh. A big terrain with some houses could be a single mesh loaded as an entity. Performance issues.
Generally you create separate entities for the houses, but that's not always the case. In Ogre3d, for example, you have the "static geometry" object which can be made of a lot of meshes linked togheter at the game startup and the result is a single very big object (entity), and it's optimized with GPU techniques, since it's static there's no need to do some processing stuff so it's a single big object which "stays there". It's one entity.
Another example, you can just model a big environment in blender and load it as a single mesh and so as a single Maratis entity.
Maratis doesn't actually have things like "static geometry" and in some tutorial pages it's specified that it's better to render the scene in smaller parts, so I may edit the wiki maybe.
But in general, an entity can be anything.

heartseed wrote:

you are the one that created this given you noted you had just done some tuts.

You can use the "History" link in the wiki on every page to see the contributions for that page.

Last edited by 255 (2013-08-25 19:03:17)

OK thanks a bunch for the information , I appreciate it wink

cheers
hs

Hi,
maybe a visual sheme ?
or a general review focused on game development,
describing all important steps :
- inputs (events, keys...)
- logic (script loop, physics, behaviors, transformations...)
- drawing (culling, sorting, rendering...)

By the way,
I wanted to thank you for the work you already made in the wiki,
it's really helpful and motivating, thanks !

I have been thinking of making a tutorial on Maratis, as I have just found an even better workflow. I am also making a Customizable game script, so that new comers can get started easily.

This is my showcase:
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=738

If I can get a smooth workflow going (I am really close), then I can make a BEGINNING to END Maratis tutorial.

I am more into creating TOOLS rather than creating assets. For instance, I would rather create an easily modifiable mesh so that anyone can take that and make their own.

If you were to make a sample script that utilized every IMPORTANT function that might be used for a game (also well commented), that would be all I would need to make my own stuff (like a road map).

That's why I am working on the Customizable game script.

But anael, is he right abourt MObject3d, as in its 'similar' to splitting up a mesh for perforfmance, and if so , what is the difference between the two ?? MObject3d sounds Much easier to do and doesn't require blender to do it.

IM surprised if so, you never mentioned this option.

thx
hs

Tutorial Doctor, that's nice.

Tutorial Doctor wrote:

If I can get a smooth workflow going (I am really close), then I can make a BEGINNING to END Maratis tutorial.

Try not to "overdo" though, it's better to make indipendent tutorials/examples for specific things and "release" them soon, you can't cover really everything anyway so you may feel like something is always missing. You can always make a "mega-pack" in the future. If you put your daily discoveries in the Wiki in a readable form that will be better than holding everything for the "ultimate tutorial". I see that you're learning Blender and all the other things that encompasses Maratis, so every new thing you learn you could make a wiki page. Just IMHO. smile

Last edited by 255 (2013-08-27 00:22:32)

255 wrote:

Tutorial Doctor, that's nice.

Tutorial Doctor wrote:

Try not to "overdo" though, it's better to make indipendent tutorials/examples for specific things and "release" them soon, you can't cover really everything anyway so you may feel like something is always missing. You can always make a "mega-pack" in the future. If you put your daily discoveries in the Wiki in a readable form that will be better than holding everything for the "ultimate tutorial". I see that you're learning Blender and all the other things that encompasses Maratis, so every new thing you learn you could make a wiki page. Just IMHO. smile

I think it was you that sent me the link to the wiki, but truly, I don't know how to add things to it. I saw a login button which said I need to get permission. Also, is there a standard for wiki entries? Wiki is a new thing to me (as far as editing goes).

I am really trying to get a workflow, and create this Customizable Game script so I can use it to make games faster. Blender is my main hold up. I need it to work every time (I can't get my animations into Maratis every time without any trouble yet).

Main thing is, I don't want to make a tutorial that has flaws. I need to get it working myself first. I post my achievements in the showcase area, and my scripts in the script area. The reason I posted the script as I progress is because there is no telling how long I will be coming to the site, and I want to make a foundation that someone else can build on.

Once I am able to get things set up easily, I will start releasing projects.

heartseed :
there is no real limitation, it's more a strategy/performance thing.
Some games will be faster by separating mesh in smaller parts, other games by grouping meshs in bigger parts.

In the engine, an entity (MOentity) is linked to a mesh (MMesh), and a mesh can have multiple sub-meshs (the mesh is internally split), so a set with multiple rooms could be a single entity, and be fast if the mesh is split in multiple sub-meshs (for exemple one sub-mesh for each room), you will just not be able to move each part separately in the editor.

From the point of vue of the user inside the editor, loading a mesh file (*.mesh) creates an entity that links to this mesh file, and every entity using the same mesh will link to the same mesh in memory (it's an instance).

In general you should separate the static things (rooms, table, chair...) and the dynamic things (characters, animated objects...) and not have too large entities.

@Tutorial Doctor
I see.

Yes if you don't already know the wiki syntax you would have to take the time to learn that so yes, it's other time spent. It's not difficult though. But really, never edited Wikipedia? tongue I've learnt there.

Last edited by 255 (2013-08-27 10:28:43)