Topic: Level Menu or Scene menu?

I need to have CUT SCENES, MENUS and LEVELS in my game.

Would it be best to make a menu as a scene or as a level?

If I made it as a scene, could I access it from another level?

Re: Level Menu or Scene menu?

Because you have been so helpful to me i will try to give some suggestions, you have 2 options for cut-scenes or video (not ingame) more control over what you want the player to see but looks separated from the game or ingame ala Half Life more complicated because of the player behavior being unpredictable but more immersive. About menus you also have 2 options or a 2D menu faster to load and can be made good looking, or prepare a small ingame level on the editor to serve has the menu background (ala Half Life 2) my personal favorite even tho it can make starting the game longer.

On this last one you just make UI buttons that calls "NEW GAME -> loadLevel("levelName") " and "QUIT -> quit()

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks Argoon! I completely overlooked just making it in 2D (Im thinking too 3d). I am going to look up some tutorials on how people make game menus. I was wondering how I would get animation in it. I tried using a texture animation in blender, but maybe there is an easier way.

Ill look into it. smile

On maratis you can make a 2D UI just like you make a 3D one, this can be used with a fixed orthographic camera that is looking to planes with textures on them simulating the background and buttons of your menu,  this has the benefit that you can use physics detection "for mouse over" and UV texture animation to animate the background, to animate the buttons you can use activate and deactivate to show or hide planes with different textures, for example to give the impression that the button color changes when you mouse over it, for texture animation theres threads on the forum explaining it.

Yes is convoluted but it works and i hope this puts you on the right path. smile

Last edited by Argoon (2013-08-27 15:44:49)

HM physics detection for mouse over , where did you read this information ? wink

I can't imagine why you would need that in a menu, but Im happy to read alllllllll about it LOL!!!!! wink

First a word of warning heartseed, sarcasm online is not easily apparent at first you comment was offensive for me, then i realized you were being sarcastic be careful with that. wink

Second physics detection can be used with the rayHit() function to detect what the mouse is over with, that is how i have seen many others do on the Unity engine when using 3D menus or 2D menus based on 3D objects (and a 3D object can even be a 2D plane), afaik for now Maratis has no way to detect what the mouse is over without using the physics system.

BTW that was how i made the mouse over system on my video that you saw.

Last edited by Argoon (2013-08-27 19:02:21)

Yes, as Argoon says, rayHit() uses and so requires physics.
It's actually the simplest way to detect mouse over in lua.

Argoon wrote:

First a word of warning heartseed, sarcasm online is not easily apparent at first you comment was offensive for me, then i realized you were being sarcastic be careful with that. wink

Second physics detection can be used with the rayHit() function to detect what the mouse is over with, that is how i have seen many others do on the Unity engine when using 3D menus or 2D menus based on 3D objects (and a 3D object can even be a 2D plane), afaik for now Maratis has no way to detect what the mouse is over without using the physics system.

BTW that was how i made the mouse over system on my video that you saw.

Ex cuse me, you are warning me about something I said, that was not meant at all offensively?

If you truly feel offended, just ask, instead of assuming Incorrectly.

You should never 'assume' anything, and then on TOP of that, hurl insults at me, WARNING me to not do something, that I never did. I took personal offense by that, almost as if being warned of some impending violence! I presume that wasn't your intent, but it came OUT that way.  What was your, ahem, intent anyway, with that 'warning' ? Don't you ever do that again or I will moderate if need be. That had nasty understones of violence . I"ve never in all the time Ive been online, had anyone 'warn' me not to do something. I hope that wasn't your intent, would you mind rephrasing that or letting me know 'how' you meant it ?

I said nothing whatsoever, to warrant being 'warned' by you or anyone else here, and I find it very odd you are taking that arrogant tone with someone on these forums, who doesn't deserve it on any level. Who are you to warn me like that ? Having a bad day or something ? Do not take it out on me, or anyone else here, is that understood ? wink

That was quite rude, and I think you owe me an opology. I"ve never been ' warned' by anyone, nor has anyone ever needed to do that, because Im a decent person, who also happens to moderate parts of this forum, and thought I would innocently 'reply' to your thread as your game looked interesting as something unique being done with Maratis.  I still can't believe you 'warned' me, as if you'd do something TO me or something...really?

I shall make it perfectly clear to you, given you  clearly misunderstood, that nothing I said to you had any overtones of arrogance of hostility. If you took it that way, maybe it was a language barrier kind of thing ( such things happen VER Often anyway so...I bet that's all it was!) ? Misunderstandings 'happen', so lets just take it as that, and move on in peace and civility, and enjoy this wonderful engine wink

Cheers
hs

Jesus man now i realize why you started being so defensive on the conversation we add on the Showcasing forum, my warning (perhaps advice would be a better word? ) was a friendly warning in no way i hurled insults at you, and i say again this reply is not trying to push you or anything i'm just trying to put water on the fire, if you read carefully my reply above, you will see that i realized that you were not trying to offend me, it did looked to me like that at first and yes language barrier is a problem it was on our other conversation and it seems it was here as well. I'm not trying to make you my enemy or anything i hope this will only make us know each other a little better and things go better from now on.

Allso please do not INSULT jesus like that. Its directly insulting to a chrisitian, myself included, to use jesus name like that. You should know better! I should not have to be TELLING you this, you just be old enough and wise enough to realize, you just never do that. If you are just YOUNG and weren't aware of it, then well,,now you do wink

If you were trying to put 'water' on the fire, then why did you WARN me as you did. I reacted the way I did, as honestly it felt like some physical attack was coming..how else should  take 'warning', given no one in all the years I"ve been on IRC/forums has ever warned me about anything..given me advice,,redirection,, comments and opinions Always.,,but never ever has anyone 'warned' me not to 'do something'.

I still it was a very weird thing to do, and not to apologize is also a bit ODD,. but that's ok..just NEVER do it again, k ? wink

You have every right to be here, and we all look fwd to seeing your progess,,but don't go warning people. NOt polite, and it could easily be taken as a physical threat!

Having said that,,LETS start allllll over shall we wink

Hi Im hs, I like what you are doing with maratis and look fwd to seeing your progress, and I hope you seriously consider the non violent links I offered as objective data on the subject matter.

smile

Cheers
hs

I hope you don't mind me asking but heartseed how old are you? I'm 33 years old.

Perhaps this will make it seem like i'm insulting you but is far from the truth, first the use of Jesus has a exclamation is a cultural thing even among Christians that i'm myself included, i even have Jesus on my name. smile
Second why would i apology for something i didn't do, i didn't hurl insults at you, i'm myself has surprised by your reactions has you must be of mine. lol big_smile
Third there's always a first for everything on this world, if someone didn't give you a "warning" on a forum before now at least you can say someone did. hehe big_smile

Need to go cheers and again i hope we stay on good grounds.