Topic: Village walkthrough

I posted some time ago that I was going to use Maratis for my project. Since then, I've been back through the doubt/ take another look/ come to the same conclusions cycle again - so Maratis it definitely is!

What I'm intending to do is produce a guided interactive model of my home village as it was in the 12th and 13th centuries. The monks of the priory here left a large amount of records, so I have some pretty reliable information on who and where people were (including names and families!).

I'm telling you this to commit myself to the project and so stop myself from going through the dreaded doubt cycle again. I'm also telling you because I suspect I'll be asking a lot of noobie questions.

Wish me luck!

Re: Village walkthrough

I wish you much luck on your project poodle, and I have similar things planned myself, with family structures that have since disappeared due to 'progress' ( hospitals take priority), but that  being able myself as you, to go through them at least virtually would feel wonderful and bring back a bit of yesteryear wink

Have fun and look fwd to seeing your ideas come to life and bring back your history wink

Cheers
hs

Are you using sketchup to make your models?

Well, I tend to use Sketchup as a quick outliner for buildings, but then I import into Blender for any finishing. The problem (as I see it) with Sketchup models is that they LOOK like Sketchup models unless you do a whole host of other work - in which case you may as well be doing that work in Blender.

Having said that, a lot of Blender complexity is still a mystery to me. I begin any model apart from buildings in a old copy of Silo 3D (I would use Wings 3D, but it no longer runs on an up-to-date Ubuntu installation). Come to think of it, I use a lot of software merely to avoid Blender, and then use Blender as a final polishing tool. Maybe it's time I stopped being lazy and really got to grips with the Blender interface.

In general, then - yes. Any tool I can find which is easy to use and does a job well is fine by me.

Last edited by Poodle (2013-08-28 11:59:05)

Poodle wrote:

Well, I tend to use Sketchup as a quick outliner for buildings, but then I import into Blender for any finishing. The problem (as I see it) with Sketchup models is that they LOOK like Sketchup models unless you do a whole host of other work - in which case you may as well be doing that work in Blender.

Having said that, a lot of Blender complexity is still a mystery to me. I begin any model apart from buildings in a old copy of Silo 3D (I would use Wings 3D, but it no longer runs on an up-to-date Ubuntu installation). Come to think of it, I use a lot of software merely to avoid Blender, and then use Blender as a final polishing tool. Maybe it's time I stopped being lazy and really got to grips with the Blender interface.

In general, then - yes. Any tool I can find which is easy to use and does a job well is fine by me.

I have some Blender tutorials on my site:

www.tutorialdoctor.weebly.com

If you go to ART/3D ART APPLICATIONS and then the BLENDER tab. I also have info on Google sketchup (Which I have been using to make my buildings for Maratis)

I had to force myself into Blender too and it is not as annoying as it used to be, but I still get annoyed. The way things are designed don't help establish a good worfklow. But it's all I can afford (free).

The Best Blender Tutorial, or course i have ever seen is this one:

http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

That covers all the Basics. for more fancy stuff, probably consult CGCookie, or Blender Tuts.

Thanks for that link damvcoool!