Topic: Tutorial Doctor's Maratis Showcase:

Hello Everyone! I am a little excited about what I have managed to do with Maratis so far (and it has only been about a week or so since I have known about it). I don't have any super programming skills, but I understand the basics. I have been into 3d for a few years however, but never really produced any sort of project. I have just been gathering information it seems.

A few of the models aren't mine. Some are 3d warehouse and a few ripped ones. A few of the humans were made with makehuman and textured by me in Blender. I am only showing the technical things that are possible in Maratis.

Anyhow, I stumbled across Maratis while watching a Youtube video about the Unity Engine. And the Unity is a struggle for a novice like me. And since I have found Maratis, this is what I have done so far:

IMAGE 1:
--I imported a obj file of a person into the SponzaFPS level.
--I imported a house mesh with Baked Ambient Occlusion shadows.
--The green and red buttons on the ground are actually respawn points.

IMAGE 2:
--I imported my BaseCharacter into Maratis WITH AN ANIMATION!
--I also imported a sketchup 3D warehouse model into Maratis, and it came in perfectly (Check out my post on Sketchup to Blender to Maratis)

--I can't quite get clothes that are separate objects to Rig correctly, but I needed to put something on the model.

IMAGE 3:
--I added terrain that was created in sketchup to the JULES DEMO level. I deleted the jules SET  and changed the name of my terrain to SET. I gave the terrain physics and I changed the type to TRIANGLE MESH.

IMAGES 4-6:
--I modeled some terrain and textured it in Sculptris
--I imported it to Blender to use the Maratis Exporter
--I imported it into Maratis.

IMAGE 7:
--Got my Character selection working SORTA. hehe

IMAGE 8:
I got another simple level into Maratis in no time. It has a house and that bridge that is iconic for an adventure open-world game. Sketchup straight to Maratis using the importer.

IMAGE 9-10:
Splatting?! Used Scupltris to sculpt and paint a basic terrain. Used a few blender modifiers to make it more complex (displace). Added Ambient Occlusion and shadow maps to the terrain and exported it as a Maratis mesh. Improted it.

Image 11
Mario? 3d warehouse model exported from Sketchup using the OBJ exporter. Directly loaded into Maratis using assimp. Orthographic camera with one intense light. Light follows camera and the camera follows the cube.

Image 12
Quick edit to the Physics test project. Hid the Car object and just placed a mesh of a car body over it. Parented the car mesh to the car object, and changed the camera location. Track from sketchup 3d warehouse.

Images 13-14
Added WATER and a space SKYDOME to my Funland Example with Jules in it. Also has a COLLECTION system.

Image 15
Got a Jules-like character moving with my customizable game script. Set up the camera rig to work like the jules level. (programmed it all myself though). His name is joey, and he is animated with an idle and walk animation. Made it in a few minutes.

Image 16
Pretty Soon I will have a demo level with good rig animation and a level changing interaction. Next would be object animations.

Image 17
Got a rigged and animated character (made with makehuman & blender) into Maratis with a nice room that has Ambient occlusion. The animation has 2,000 frames (Carnegie bvh).

Image 18
Got a mesh into Maratis with DIFFUSE, SPECULAR, and NORMAL MAPPING.

Image 19
FINALLY! Got a walking character inside a room that can walk up and down stairs. Also has an idle animation and walk animation. Gotta get the sound to work. Now if only I can get my male character to export.

Image 20
Got the male mesh working (I have been having to edit the mesh files due to exporting issues in Blender (changing the Opacity from 0 to 1))

Image 21
Added the walking character to the terminal level and adjusted the camera a bit to make my first FPW (First Person Walker)

Image 22
Getting that forest in there! No AO, specular, nor normal.

Image 23
Going to try to script a character selection on this one.

Image 24
Just a simple land model made with Sculptris and a Building made with Sketchup rotated and scaled differently. Both have ambient occlusion.

Image 25
Trying to bump up the scale of my levels. This SCALABLE CITY is jut one modular piece configured in different ways on top of flat plane. Coming out of Sketchup it was several pieces. Coming out of Blender it was one piece. The advantage is that since the flat plane doesn't have depth, it isn't scaled when you scale the model along the Z-axis, but the buildings are. I made the cubes the same size for this one, but if they had been different heights by default, the city would look more random.

Image 26
Thinking of making a Little driving demo to show of Maratis.

Image 27
Got normal maps going on in this small control room. Used Sponza FPS script for movement. A few sounds would give it some life.

Image 28
Finally! Got a decent animated character with an idle animation and walking animation. The transition between idle and walking doesn't annoy me as much as all my other tests. Also, I have dynamic shadows.

Image 29
Trying to see what I can do with greebles and lighting from Sketchup to Blender.

Image 30
Finally got a smooth workflow for keeping the ambient occlusion whilst adding textures.

Image 31
Cool looking levels here I come! Found a new UV mapping tool that makes texturing sketchup models way easier in Blender.

Image 32
I can now use Cycles Renderer for baking textures and light into 3d models. The process is not straightforward yet. This is a quick text from Sketchup to Blender to Maratis.

Whenever I do something new, I will post it here. Take care!

Image 1
PunBB bbcode test
Image 2
PunBB bbcode test
Image 3
PunBB bbcode test

Images 4-6
PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test

Image 7
PunBB bbcode test

Image 8
PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test

Image 9-10
PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test

Image 11
PunBB bbcode test

Image 12
PunBB bbcode test

Images 13-14
PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test

Image 15
PunBB bbcode test

Image 16
PunBB bbcode test

Image 17
PunBB bbcode test

Image 18
PunBB bbcode test

Image 19
PunBB bbcode test

Image 20
PunBB bbcode test

Image 21
PunBB bbcode test

Image 22
PunBB bbcode test

Image 23
PunBB bbcode test

Image24
PunBB bbcode test

Image25
PunBB bbcode test

Image26
PunBB bbcode test

Image27
PunBB bbcode test

Image 28
https://sites.google.com/site/maratisfiles/files/Screenshot%20%28923%29.png

Image 29
https://sites.google.com/site/maratisfiles/files/Screenshot%20%28926%29.png

Image 30
https://sites.google.com/site/maratisfiles/files/Screenshot%20%28943%29.png

Image 31
https://sites.google.com/site/maratisfiles/files/Screenshot%20%28974%29.png'

Image 32
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4rl1ku0ih8nwm … 20Bake.png

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2015-05-02 16:58:30)

Re: Tutorial Doctor's Maratis Showcase:

Did some splatting. Tutorial coming soon. (9-10)

Mario test? (11)

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-09-15 04:15:18)

I did finally figure out h ow to get my terrain/textures from sculptris into blender, then into maratis, but I still can not get them directly from blender  to Maratis, and im referring to just making a terrain and doing multiple texture painting on it. Anael as I recall ? said you needed a shader for this from blender to maratis but quite clearly you don't, when going from sculptris to blender to maratis so all this needs to be e  xplained a lot better. It doesn't really matter to me so much as I find blender very sluggish at doing many things ( texture painting and sometimes sculpting, maybe a bug dunno) and atm anyway, I much prefer sculptris for all my creation tasks because its so easy to unwrap and sculpt and texture wink

So if you have a way of doing this without shaders please let us know .

Once you have modeled and painted your object in sculptris, you have to export your texture map (SAVE TEXMAP). Place this image in the maps folder of your maratis project.

Then export your obj file.

Import the obj into blender. Once in blender, select the object and add a material. To that material add a texture. Make it an IMAGE OR MOVIE texture. Select your exported TEXMAP. Change the uv mapping method from GENERAL to UV. (It already has UV coordinates)
Export your .MESH file to your meshes folder.

TIP:

Maratis has a little issue with finding textures for meshes. If your original map is moved at all, the mesh file will loose it.

Often I have to open the mesh file in a text editor.

For instance, say in the mesh file it uses this path to get the map:

..\...\pictures\textures\ground.png

I have to redirect it to
..\maps\ground.png

So that the mesh knows to hop next door into the maps folder to get e map

(I have to do this often)

Well as I said, the problem is NOT from sculptris as I have that completely worked out, its HOW you did it ALL in blender including the texture painting of different layers such as grass and sand as in image 9/10 above. How was that done smile

I try not to use blender as I find sculptris So much easier to worth with , but those who live by blender need to know how 9/10 were done wink

I thought for sure Anael said you needed a shader for this, but if you found some way around it, fine all the better.

How did you import .obj into maratis? I have only been able to import .mesh into maratis. Would you explain how to do it? Or have I misunderstood your first post?

Edit: Because it looks awesome.

Last edited by Pär (2013-09-16 11:28:03)

Pär wrote:

How did you import .obj into maratis? I have only been able to import .mesh into maratis. Would you explain how to do it? Or have I misunderstood your first post?

Edit: Because it looks awesome.

To import a .obj file:

In Marstis, go to FILE and then down to IMPORT 3D MODEL. Then choose your OBJ.

I will make a small tutorial on how I get ambient occlusion in my models soon.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-09-16 16:38:00)

That's awesome.

Added a pretty decent car mesh to the Physics level (Image 12) Changed the camera a bit. And it looks really good! Not my model. I am using it as a test mesh.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-11-27 23:39:08)

Done some Animation (Image 17) and some NORMAL MAPPING (Image 18)

--I can't quite get clothes that are separate objects to Rig correctly, but I needed to put something on the model.

I can help with this if your still having trouble, parenting clothes and getting them to deform to your model properly during animation is just generally a pain.

zester wrote:

I can help with this if your still having trouble, parenting clothes and getting them to deform to your model properly during animation is just generally a pain.

I thought it was me! haha. Thanks.

I have noticed that when the cloth mesh is flat (no thickness) it has no problem, but when it has thickness it gets strange.

I have been looking at a lot of meshes from this one website:
http://tf3dm.com/

Bunch of ripped game characters. When I bring them into blender, it is strange how the mesh is divided up. However, trying to export a rigged version of these meshes as a maratis mesh gives a callback error every time.

Got a walking character now! (Image 19)

Quick Modular city/village (Image 24 & 25)

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-10-16 16:35:25)

Testing out normal maps and ambient occlusion (Image 27).

Finally got diffuse maps, ambient occlusion, normal maps, and specular maps working good enough. Now it's time to make some full levels (not just test levels). (Image 30)

Cool levels here I come! (Image 31)