Topic: Splatting Demo

I made a demo on how I texture my terrain.

It is a PDF file. I tell how to texture in Sculptris, and how to UV map in Blender. I also tell how to add Ambient Occlusion. I tell how to make objects collide correctly with the terrain as well.

Download(33mb):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o30yg2fp7en6k … errain.pdf

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-09-20 17:29:45)

Re: Splatting Demo

Thank you for taking your time to do this, but I would recommend you to redo it, without lag, as its quite nasty. I had to stop it a very short way in as its just too much to sit through wink

Is there no way you can gain access to a simple MIC so there is audio ?     TUT's without audio I find very annoying, as nowadays most have audio , and if you can't  maybe you can redo it another time when you have such hardware. I think instead of using whatever it was you used, that you might consider using:

http://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-jing- … pture.html , or try one of the other alternatives wink IM not sure what you used, but maybe one of those would be easier and produce less lag ?

Cheers
hs

Hey Turorial Doctor, that's not working for me (only got a white screen when launching the app)
I'm on win XP

I used a very old program I had remembered called WINK.

I like camtasia studio most, but it costs. I have not found a way to make an effective presentation without using video. I can try a power point.

I'll redo it before I leave.

Updated the File. It is now a PDF file

It would be nice to continue having you around this community, and ty for updating the file wink

Did you try the other video tools I offered to you on that website ?

Cheers
hs

Thanks heartseed. I used Jing before. It used to be slow, and I think they charge for features.

There is no doubt ill be telling people about maratis. Hehe

Take care!

Very nice tut, that's pretty clear and straightforward, thanks for the effort wink

I wish you had tried to use a  video application to make this and that it wasn't laggy, as I don't even have  a PDF viewer. All the free ones require you to sign up for something too. Windows 8 comes with one thankfully,but I use windows 7 atm. I just looked to be sure, and there is no free PDF viewer that I can find, that I trust won't install malware or spyware on my computer. I 'd MUCH rather see a AVI therefore, but if you can't create one without lag, then that's just how it is and I understand that.

I just wanted to make it clear, why PDF is also not the best format for many people.

I could download adobe's PDF viewer which is 'free', but its 80MB, and that's just ridiculous. So options out there are very limited or not free sad

Just go with the best : SumatraPDF (free and portable)

Ok I have a question...one of the examples from maratis itself, shows making 'player' a sphere I think.or box whichever I guess, but you used  convex hull , and Im wondering if there was a reason for this ? Convex hull is expensive on performance, unless you have a really good reason to use it, which in this case there would be none that I can see wink ( thanks sadwolf for explaining this to me)

Thx a lot for doing tutorial ( though I think you should leave out AO as its rather long with it there, and put ao in a different tutorial), as this would help those unfamiliar with  sculptris though I actually knew how to do it by now.

thx
vd

VeganDev wrote:

Ok I have a question...one of the examples from maratis itself, shows making 'player' a sphere I think.or box whichever I guess, but you used  convex hull , and Im wondering if there was a reason for this ? Convex hull is expensive on performance, unless you have a really good reason to use it, which in this case there would be none that I can see wink ( thanks sadwolf for explaining this to me)

Thx a lot for doing tutorial ( though I think you should leave out AO as its rather long with it there, and put ao in a different tutorial), as this would help those unfamiliar with  sculptris though I actually knew how to do it by now.

thx
vd

For some reason, when I use sphere the object hovers above the ground. I don't know why I keep getting that. I understand why sphere is used in the example (along with angular damping and angular factor adjustments) so that it would "roll without rolling.

There should be some visual cue that let's us know where the center of rotation/mass of the physics object is, so that the pivot point of the mesh can be in the right spot.

I'll fix it soon, working on some animated objects

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-09-28 22:10:41)

Tutorial Doctor wrote:

For some reason, when I use sphere the object hovers above the ground. I don't know why I keep getting that. I understand why sphere is used in the example (along with angular damping and angular factor adjustments) so that it would "roll without rolling.

There should be some visual cue that let's us know where the center of rotation/mass of the physics object is, so that the pivot point of the mesh can be in the right spot.

Unless Im not understanding your point, the pivot point comes from the export from your 3d application. That's what I've always seen anyway. If the pivot isn't centered in 3d app, then it will not be in maratis either.

Im not sure what you mean by, object hovers above ground using sphere, as if you try both convex and sphere , and the play the level, there is no effective difference in how the 'player' moves along the area, at least none that Im seeing here, at all.

The difference between the two as I noted, is just the type of collision needed, based on accuracy and what  you want to do, and as described to me, the difference between a simple player moving along, and the need to fit a triangle piece, into a puzzle triangular hole, with the puzzle analogy being a lot more ( depending how many in the scene, etc.) expensive on performance.

VeganDev wrote:
Tutorial Doctor wrote:

Unless Im not understanding your point, the pivot point comes from the export from your 3d application. That's what I've always seen anyway. If the pivot isn't centered in 3d app, then it will not be in maratis either.

Im not sure what you mean by, object hovers above ground using sphere, as if you try both convex and sphere , and the play the level, there is no effective difference in how the 'player' moves along the area, at least none that Im seeing here, at all.

The difference between the two as I noted, is just the type of collision needed, based on accuracy and what  you want to do, and as described to me, the difference between a simple player moving along, and the need to fit a triangle piece, into a puzzle triangular hole, with the puzzle analogy being a lot more ( depending how many in the scene, etc.) expensive on performance.

In real physics the diameter would play some part also, rather than just the pivot.

Say you had a sphere with a diameter of 1 Maratis unit with the pivot in the center. Then say you have another sphere with a diameter of 10 Maratis units with the pivot in the center. Since the larger sphere has more surface area, it would seem it would roll differently than the smaller sphere.

My question is if the Physics object (sphere in this case) uses the bounding box of the object or some predetermined size, or a combination of the two (Bounding box and pivot point)

If I used a cube shaped mesh with a spherical physics properties it would roll like a sphere (this is what the Maratis example does, except with angular damping and 0 angular factor)

What happens in my game is that even though the ground mesh is triangle mesh and the object has sphere physics, it is offset from the ground mesh. It still moves, but just as if it was sitting on top of an invisible flat plane.

I am going to look into it now.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-09-30 00:07:46)

I think you are confusing terminologies or have expectations not being met ? What makes you think it is offset ?

When I test sponza, it perfectly lives up to my expectations as in you press UP arrow and you move throughout the building. That is expected behavior wink The floor is flat, so as you move there is no alteration in those phsyics , as expected. The same holds true if I walk over a 'terrain' mesh ( just a mesh ) and its not flat but hilly and uneven, whereby your player now moves along with the surface contours, as expected.

Same with any mesh.  I won't get any difference in behavior, faik, until you for example, create 'feet' and have an animation as in yofrankie level.

Short of that, Im not sure what you are getting at, so maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on this and help us out wink