Topic: Feature Requests (Editor Only)

If you want changes to the editor e.g more user friendly interface or behaviour ideas please let us know.

Re: Feature Requests (Editor Only)

I think what really lack is atm is a object listing , something like outliner in blender

Sometimes thats pretty hard to select objects , especially when you use follow behavior and/or link objects

That would be great to have that

Here's the features that I miss when using maratis,
I do not expect everything to be fixed, I just wanted to write it down.

first of all I have to agree with the post above, a global object list is something that would be very useful.

also it would be nice to be able to select objects that are behind other objects, now it always selects the one at the front.

For example:
click once -> selects closest objects
click again-> selects first object behind it
click again-> etc
This is the way 3dsmax handles this.

It would also be great to be able to change the navigation keys in the editor,so that one can
customize to what one uses in the 3d modeling package.
(hard to remember all keys between all the applications).

Animating objects from inside maratis would also be a great feature.
(object transform, rotation, scale).

When one does click the scene script from the maratis UI it opens a new instance of scintilla each time, would be nice if it just brought the current open window to the front instead.

Changing the UI color scheme is another feature that would be nice.
But I do also love the current blue UI.. smile

Another minor thing,

You can't translate an object anymore when Follow behavior is used,
it would be nice to allow translate & make the values auto-update instead of having to enter them manually

Hi, I have a little but very important request : I wish import compressed sound like mp3 ... wink
because for short sound, wav is perfect, but to import musics or atmosphere sounds ...

Hi,
I didn't add-it in the window menu, but Maratis can also read aif (compressed or not) and ogg (similar to mp3).
Reading mp3 is not an option as it is not a royalty free codec.

To be more precise, on pc and mac (not on iOS) Maratis uses libsndfile, so you can read all this formats :
http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

anael wrote:

Reading mp3 is not an option as it is not a royalty free codec.

Hum, I suspected as much. -_-
thanks for your fast answer, I shall try to find a converter mp3 - aiff wink

you welcome,
try ogg in priority (it's some time even better than mp3).
Full name is "Ogg Vorbis"

- Color picker for lights. If possible show the radius of the lights.
- Outliner or hierarchy inspector to see the parent/child relationships, like mentioned above.
- Diffuse color and Texture change
- Open the script file from editor to edit.
- Some inbuilt standard primitives.
- Add a prompt for save (Ctrl+s) like it is available for Delete/Quit now.

EDIT:
- Billboard
- Shortcut keys for camera views.

Just some of my thought.
Regards

Last edited by Arclord (2011-09-11 07:56:29)

There is a little problem with Texts. Texts are changeable, but if the name of the texts are long, it is no longer possible to change that text again.

Regards

Can you precise the text thing ? When you say the name of the text, you mean the name of the text-object or the content ot the text ?

About your previous post, "Ctrl+S" is actually available, it open a dialog only the first time.
There is also something for camera view, the same as Blender (using the Numeric Pad).

About text, when we create the text for first time we get file open dialog, then choose a text. But once selected, later if we (for some reason) wanted to change that text, we have to click on file open icon to change the text. But if the name of the text is long enough, like - "SF Aftershock Debris Condensed.ttf", the file open icon no longer remain visible, it hides below main 3d window. In the text propeties tab -> font option.
EDIT: Sorry, I did not noticed that if the name is long, it creates a horizontal scroll bar below the window. Just noticed it.

About save, When we press Ctrl-S, it saves, but some time get confused whether it saved or not. Thats why I just thought it would be nice if you could add the same dialog like Ctrl-Q and Delete, when we press Ctrl-Q or Delete a small dialog pops out below mouse cursor to confirm the action. It is not neccessary, just a thought.

Ya, sorry, my numLock was off. Thats why it did not work when I test it.
EDIT: Only switch between camera and perspective is missing I think.

Regards

Last edited by Arclord (2011-09-13 14:54:13)

Ok I understand about ctrl+S, you right, some feedback is necessary.
And for the font selection, I see the problem, the button is maybe not at the best place while the scroll is very discrete.

Another thing that would be nice,
Mark the objects who are linked together (with a green line or small icon or something)
As it's hard to remember what is linked to what when using a lot of objects

Change the rotation from middle click to right click or make it prossible to change the key to a different one

Edit: and a button that reload the Game-Plugin

Last edited by Taz (2011-10-20 19:07:46)

visualize the mesh used in physics calculation for debugging, as a wireframed type mesh would be great.

-Implement nodal logic behaviors, will make maratis more artist friendly for reference see Uscript
http://www.detoxstudios.com/
-The best nodal implementation for me is this check those videos
http://www.quelsolaar.com/co_on/manual.html
-The editor is minimalist i like this, to complement you cant implement pieMenus to acces option an call floating panels
like this you keep the simplisity of the Editor
-A nice and functional shader editor preferible NodalsHader.
Im going to make some mokup for you to see how will look like

make it click and drop and to be able to make prefab

can be added to the Editor a button/menu for generating simple 3D object like Cube,Sphere or a Triangle?

visualize the bones in the viewport. (even if it's simple 2D lines it would do wonders).

If you want more people to use it, my idea is to take it as far away from blender as you can. You guys are going for ease of use, right?Scrap the antiquated save/load system. Only real problem I see with this product right now.

Some suggestions;
  - Add an offset feature for the LookAt
  - Add a link to the last used file paths in the toolbar when opening a file; blender saving/loading is using that as well as showing some main links to the partitons of your HD, as you know, I guess, so maybe just try to do this, too.
  - Maybe scale down the timeline a bit, it's quite big compared to its amount of features at the moment, I think.
  - Add a 3D Cursor like empty thing to pivot around; right now it's quite annoying when having a great scene when you use the object's pivot as a pivot for the viewport.

Yeah, I guess that's it, together with some of the suggestions in the posts above (:

Last edited by special_ops (2012-10-20 08:19:46)

Ya, blender can take a bit of getting used to if you are coming from another 3d product, and many flat refuse to use it ( rarely , if at all, used in most game studios , that Im aware of ).

I know others mirror this opinion, and I'll add my voice to it, saying we really could use a good collada import, as in so doing you would get people from every walk of 3d life using Maratis. It's one thing to ask them to import their objects into blender, but that is no guarantee I believe, that the porting process is going to be good.

https://github.com/jefftrull/ColladaOgreImporter < This is the best I can find source wize, so maybe its a good place to start from a porting POV ?

Wrapscallion wrote:

If you want more people to use it, my idea is to take it as far away from blender as you can. You guys are going for ease of use, right?Scrap the antiquated save/load system. Only real problem I see with this product right now.

It would be nice to be able add a script to an object. managing everything on a single scrip file is now getting kinda messy for me.

damvcoool > it's not by object but you can divide your script in multiple files and include it using "dofile" (like an include)