Topic: Fixed Renderer texture no show

I am using a toshiba laptop with intel chipset 965 and windows vista.
The fixed renderer is the only renderer it lets me use which is to be expected but for some reason no textures show up.
I get basic material colors and dynamic lighting, but no textures. I also don't get any shadows. I thought maybe it was because all the example models were exported for the standard renderer so I went through ravens youtube tutorials and exported my own model with a texture for the fixed system.  It still didn't work.

edit: using intel 965 not 950

I am a beginner C++ programmer, I have expereince making simple game frameworks in SDL and Ogre3D.
But I would like to use Maratis because of the small size of the engine, the built in bullet physics, and the dynamic editor.

Last edited by UVmatician (2011-08-26 21:15:36)

Re: Fixed Renderer texture no show

Maybe you can try to install opengl drivers up to date ?
Is the "SponzaFps" example also not showing texture ? This example originally use fixed renderer.

Shadow only works with standard renderer (it need shaders).

I think it's a driver problem, you should be able to have shaders if your computer is not too old.

there are no updates for my drivers because I am on a laptop I checked.
The sponza fps models are blank white. when I start the game all I can see is white and the blue background shows through the skylight above. I think this is because they have an emissive of one or something. In the yo frankie demo I get dynamic lighting, material colors on the sheep, and what appears to be ambient occlusion on everything but no textures or shadows.

some added notes, when I start up Maratis the console reads that it is using openGl 1.5.0
I know for a fact that my computer doesn't support shader model 2, I don't know about older shaders.

The bump mapping and parrallax mapping in Irrlicht works fine on my computer using opengl 1.5.2 (probably with extensions) Ogre3d also has similar demo examples designed for integrated chips that work on my computer in both openGL and DirectX.

openGl 1.5.0 should at least be able to use multitexture,
so it's strange that sponza fps doesn't show textures.

Maybe your drivers only support power2 texture size, try to create a simple material in blender using a texture having a 256x256 size, and disable "mipmap" :

http://www.maratis3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/08.jpg

Hooray, that did it. Got diffuse working! My texture was already 256*256 so I just disabled mipmaps and it worked. Tried changing the texture to 300*256 and it stopped working. Seems you hit the issue right on the head. By the way my friend tried Maratis on his laptop which has an intel(r) 4 (a year newer than my 965). The textures didn't work on his either, I'm sure its just the same incompatibility with the MipMaps. Is the iphone compatible with MipMaps at all? I am going to test my computer now with Normal Maps and then Specular and post an update with the results.

The normal maps don't seem to work, I unhecked diffuse for the normal map texture and checked the first and third boxes under "Geometry" but it just treated the normal map like a second diffuse texture and mixed the colors of both textures together.

If you cannot run shaders, shadows, bump mapping (normal map) won't work,
but I still think you should have a way to have better opengl drivers at least to have opengl 2.0 ?

About mipmap, iPhone can use it actually, even shaders from iPhone 2.

No, there is one driver upgrade I don't have for the 965 but I can't use it because laptop drivers have to be specifically made by the manufacturer and Toshiba hasn't bothered adapting that one driver upgrade.

Maratis selected openGl 1.5 for my computer automatically so I don't think this thing has 2.0 support or support for shaders, if you or DarkKobra ever programs any cpu shaders I would be glad to test them on my chipset.