Topic: Editor keeps game changes after ending the player

I'm in the editor, then I play the game, then I press ESC to return to the editor. Sometimes the editor keeps the player changes (e.g. entities position after collisions), sometimes not (how it should be). I would like to understand more about this.

Re: Editor keeps game changes after ending the player

What platform are you in ? are you using a custom game plugin ?

The first possibility is that Maratis is not able to save a temporary level when you press play,
but I'm surprised that it's variant, it could be a authorization problem or so.

Second possibility, if you are using a custom plugin, is that you have a behavior that run during editor mode,
if it is the case, ensure the behavior call this on top of update :

MGame * game = engine->getGame();

// check if the game is running, removing this test will enable In-Editor update (like for the lookAt behavior)
if(! game->isRunning())
    return;

About the plugin, this is what I initially thought, but the same happened with the joint demo.
I'm on Windows 7 and I have Maratis on C:\ and I'm not administrator for security reasons, so it could be permission stuff, I'll check that.

normally you don't need to be administrator,
but I'm not sure how the permissions works in all cases,
Maratis asks windows for a temporary directory and create a temp file there that is used to reload the level.

Can you check if you see a level in C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Temp, where username is your user account name ?
Check just after you started the game because the temp level is then deleted when you go back to editor.

(The dir could be something different than AppData\Local\Temp thought)

Yes I've found "temp.level" file.
I have problems reproducing the bug consistently though, it doesn't happen very often, so it's a bit tricky to do tests.

Last edited by 255 (2013-10-06 10:34:26)

did you run multiple instances of Maratis at the same time by any chance ?
or was the system lagging or something when the bug occurred ?

anael wrote:

did you run multiple instances of Maratis at the same time by any chance?

No but I loaded another project from the editor menu. The previous project was mine, which uses a game plugin. The second project was the joint demo.

anael wrote:

or was the system lagging or something when the bug occurred ?

No.

Last edited by 255 (2013-10-08 12:40:50)