Topic: Realistic Intro to Game Programming

I am reading a very interesting article on WHY PEOPLE DON'T MAKE VIDEO GAMES:

http://howevangotburned.wordpress.com/2 … deo-games/

It is a good read (sorta discouraging perhaps).

If you have a hard time understanding programming, check out my post on how to understand programming.

My idea I have would solve all of these problems, but it is too far over my head.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-10-13 03:44:49)

Re: Realistic Intro to Game Programming

One of the biggest problems with video game development is that people imagine that it’s a lot like playing games – e.g., fun.  The truth is that video game development is really fun but only if you enjoy the act of building a video game for its own sake. I write video game code in my spare time not because I want to make a video game per se, but rather because I enjoy programming.

I think this is the most important point. I always do my hobbist projects just for the sake of programming them, that's why some of them got somewhere. You know how they say, it's about the journey, not the destination.

7.  Most people have either programming skills or art skills – rarely both

This is my biggest problem. I suck in anything related to graphics, especially 2D. I'm learning but this puts me in the same situation of who doesn't know how to program and wants to program only because he needs it: I need learning to do graphics/modeling etc but only because I need it, while instead I love programming. Maybe in your case it's the way around, but the problem is the same eheh.

Well, my first real experience with 2D game making was a good one. I used GameMaker Studio. It has a very good WYSIWYG setup. I used it before it was that popular. Now it is very popular. Of course now they charge thousands to even publish a game on a credible operating system (Thus is the end of greed)

I understand that people want to profit off of their work, we all do, but when companies go over to this monthy subscription stuff, or this licensing stuff, it becomes greed.

For instance, there are so many people whose jobs are dependent on Adobe Photoshop. Now, whereas before you only had a one-time fee (the price of the software), now all of there services are subscriptions based "licenses" to use their software. Of course, it is their software and they can do whatever they want with it, but Gimp looks that much more attractive as a result right?

I'm thankful that Maratis is opensource and free (not just opensource, but free also)

In my case, I am new to programming, and have known about 3d for a while, but never had a stable platform to implement it on (still don't like Blender much).

I am super new to game design, but I have managed to mesh sorta well. even produced a little something. haha. Just going full steam ahead! My engine is running out of strength I think.

After reading that article, I sorta see why. However, I recently came to the EUREKA that a game doesn't have to look all fancy like AAA games to be successful. It's all about mechanics.

The cool thing about programming (that I could see that makes it fun) is that your program can be used and re-used over and over to make tasks easier. I personally don't like "one time use only" programs. That is why I made a customizable game script. All I have to do is open it up, change one variable and BAM, a moving, animating character of whatever sort.

If programmers would understand that it is always best to program a TOOL to help you create your next program easier, then we could have that super high level program (siri-like) where anyone could make a game just by talking.

(Hmm, I have to consider that last statement)

Yeah I was very good at GM till version ~7.
Used again years later with version ~8 when it was already under the new company.
Very good tool but when you're making complex games with a lot of GM Language you wonder what the hell are you doing and why don't you start a C++ project with some graphic library LOL.

I recently came to the EUREKA that a game doesn't have to look all fancy like AAA games to be successful. It's all about mechanics.

It's about a lot of other things too, actually. Music, quality of graphics (even if retro-2D), etc. Your first sentence is correct though.

If programmers would understand that it is always best to program a TOOL to help you create your next program easier, then...

This is how programming normally works lol, it's all about abstraction layers. You can be sure that programmers got it lol, otherwise we wouldn't have operating systems right now, they will be 1000 times harder to create.

When I looked at those videos on game mechanics, they mostly spoke on game theory and game mechanics. When they spoke of the mechanics, they spoke of game theory games (different from games).

They showed how game theory is so much more than just how a game should be made. They referenced German board games, chess, monopoly etc.

Games are games, computers or not. With this understanding, I could have a game with no music at all and still do well. For instance, chess doesn't really need music. If anything, just some elevator music in the back to ease the mood. Haha.

As for graphics, in another post Anael, Poodle, and I brought up the topic of those old text adventure games. Those games are rather intriguing and fun actually, and it has only text for graphics (In fact, I am thinking of making one).

I think it's a good idea to go back to the basics and say, ''what makes a game a game anyhow?" I see that it isn't just awesome graphics. Even though I wasn't a big fan of those rpg games, they seem to have more game mechanics in them that actually make them fun (reason why I judged them by the graphics, having not played it).

I remember this old game we had called War Games. I remember that game being so addictive,, mainly because you had to be more tactical (Reason why I don't like COD or HALO).

One reason I prefer the old school Tomb Raider over the new releases is that today they focus graphics to WOW people. They have better animations, better controls. But these games are just not as challenging as before.

Tomb Raider was known for it's elaborate puzzles. Took months to beat it. Sure, the controls were kinda boxy (gives me hope for making a decent game with Maratis haha) but the game was complete and challenging.

Modern games are dispensable for the most part (sports games have more re-play value).

It's rare that I find fun games (these shooters aren't that fun to me anymore, but a game that is like hide-and-seek, now that would be fun). In some way, these shooters have a sort of hide-and-go-seek mechanic to them which gives them that thrill aspect. It's not the shooting that is exciting. It is mainly that hide-and-go-seek mechanic that makes it thrilling (reason why I don't believe shooters are fun because they are shooters, again mechanics)