Topic: My Game Programming Rant

After reading a lengthy article, I want to rant about game programming, and perhaps game programming in general.

Lot's of people have ideas of games they would like to make. Perhaps games they would like to play. Ever played a game and said, ''Wouldn't be cool if I could do this...?''

Yeah, it would be cool, but it's not going to happen just because it would be cool.

My personal issue with modern games is that the top games are very formulaic and generally violent games. Parent's always lobbied for educational games, and it seems the most education you can get out of top modern games is how to snipe a guy from behind a wall. You learn how to blow up this guy that keeps shooting you. You learn how to steal cars etc.

Sure, this is a personal beef, but this is American Society today. I prefer educational games that can be of value in REAL LIFE, not games that use game mechanic tricks to make you feel like you accomplished something.

What if there were a game where you could learn German while having fun? It could be on scenario basis. For instance, you are stranded in a German city and you don't know German. You have to find resources to help you learn. A newspaper? The local gas station? And in actuality you are learning German. Open world like GTA.

Good idea I think. Who is writing the code? Doing the graphics? The modeling? The story writing? blah blah blah.

This is the main reason I am into MODULAR DESIGN. Everyone can play with LEGOS. And with a little creativity you can make some cool stuff. But can you make a car with LEGOS? Perhaps! Can you make a grain of sand with LEGOS? Uhh..

This new game coming out called PROJECT SPARK is sorta cool. It is a game that let's you make games, but to really create something unique you have to know programming methodology.

Of course, programming is basically LOGIC, which is a skill that people who don't know how to program could have and still not be able to program.

But when it comes to making a game, you need more than just logic.

Ugh. Rant finished. haha

Re: My Game Programming Rant

it's interesting, there is a lot of possibilities with games and interactive applications, it's still a new medium/art? so unfortunately the majority of games take the easy path of violence and action because the mechanic is well known. But it's not the only game mechanic, and there is also story telling, puzzle, eduction etc.

One thing I miss a lot now is the good and slow adventure game, and it's one of the reason I don't play really video-game anymore (I'm older, age, work and free time are also a factor). They mainly tell a story, there is rarely any action, and you can play at you own rhythm, no time check, mostly no game over. I really liked these games, Monkey Island, Game of the tentacle, Riven...

At least the old school style is coming back with this modular design you talk about, minecraft seems one (I never played).
But a game where you make game can be tricky, it needs very smart constraints to focus the liberty.

anael wrote:

One thing I miss a lot now is the good and slow adventure game, and it's one of the reason I don't play really video-game anymore (I'm older, age, work and free time are also a factor). They mainly tell a story, there is rarely any action, and you can play at you own rhythm, no time check, mostly no game over. I really liked these games, Monkey Island, Game of the tentacle, Riven...

You and me both, Anael. I probably go a bit further back - some of the old text-only adventure games were wonderful things (well, until someone came up with the ideas of totally illogical puzzles and mazes).

Hmmm ... now that gives me an idea ...

After watching 3 hours of video on Game Mechanics (PAX) I was surprised at the various game mechanics out there, and the fact that many box office games use the cheap route.

My favorite game of all time is called SUPERSONIC ACROBATIC ROCKET POWERED BATTLE CARS.

Ever heard of it? Well, it's a great game. However, they couldn't push it further because of publishing issues (Sony's indie policies will help the situation) SUPERSONIC ACROBATIC ROCKET POWERED BATTLE CARS 2 maybe?!

The company PSYONIX also has a very popular game on IOS. Called ARC SQUADRON I believe.

They know how to make FUN games. And all it takes is a good mesh of mechanics.

Even still, most games use a few cheap mechanics like you say Anael.

You're on to something with that text based game idea Poodle. I wrote a post the other day called

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-10-13 15:29:19)

I have a friend addicted to video games(don't we all) he will pay $65-$70 to buy the game and then has to pay a weekly or monthly subscription just to play it? Something just feels really wrong with that.

Anyways I am not particular to "violent" video games or even "modern" video games, I like the classics.

But I will say I do like "Survival Horror" or "Horror" in general, and the violence that comes with that. Ever seen "Tales from the Crypt", "Friday the 13th", "Halloween", ... something about getting comfy on the couch and eating popcorn watching horror flixs is oddly comforting.

Then again I am an American and by Nature our society is somewhat numb to senseless violence.  We even have a holiday dedicated to it lol wink

This weekend I took my 7 year old daughter on a "Haunted Hayride", not even an "Evil Clown" with a "Real Chain Saw" chasing her threw a cornfield could get anything more than a "Ehhh it was ok dad, not very scary" out of her.

In regards to "Educational Games" there is an entire untapped market there if that's something you enjoy doing, particularly here in the US. More American Parents are home schooling there children or utilizing whats called Virtual School. Mainly do to the US public Education System not being very good or a very safe place.

Well that's all I got wink

Yeah Zester. I mean, there are educational games, but what I expect from an educational game is not what I expect from a AAA game by some big game manufacturer (and that's a bad thing).

I was telling my brother that these games are just formula games. Sorta like American tv haha. So much content that can be in a game (and with creativity it could catch on very quickly), but I can't find any decent to play games that I wouldn't object to accept if I get a WII. haha.

Then again, I don't play games much, accept board games and card games.

I think it is the American market that is messed up though, because when you look at those Japanese game shows they are always playing these strange looking, fun looking games. haha. I'm like, ''Now see! That is what I want to play!"

You know the one with the office clerk riding high-speed in an office chair down the street dodging traffic? haha

I think MediaMolecule are the most innovative game designers (Little Big Planet). I like their games.

saw that ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAodpXG2kQE

Yeah, I've seen that one. I like tearaway.I think now that indie developers don't need publishers to get attention on big consoles that we will see, perhaps, more innovation. Some say it would degrade the quality of games published, but those who say that more than likely think a quality game is one with fantastic graphics.

It's surely better than diminishing equilibrium tactics these companies use. aka law of diminishing marginal utility.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-10-14 16:52:01)

That touch mechanics is very cool.

I think the game The Last of Us (I've never played it) is a really great example of a unique and different AAA video game title. It meshes the story within the game play really tightly, as I have observed in the several let's play videos of theRadBrad. I hope that both the indie and the AAA game development industry would be more focused in conveying a message or lesson through their games (though their are quite a lot of indie titles that already do this; Thomas was Alone is a good example of one).

Tutorial Doctor wrote:

My personal issue with modern games is that the top games are very formulaic and generally violent games. Parent's always lobbied for educational games, and it seems the most education you can get out of top modern games is how to snipe a guy from behind a wall. You learn how to blow up this guy that keeps shooting you. You learn how to steal cars etc.

Less violent and more philosophical (and educational) games would be nice, but unfortunately to a certain degree human nature and history is a violent one, and this comes across in all media - including games.  For instance, two of my wife and I's favourite TV shows are 'Game of Thrones' and 'Vikings', both of which are decidedly very violent - depicting rape, wholesale murder, torture, etc...  Vikings in particular is based on a violent period in our history. 

The game I'm writing will attempt to be more philosophical, a sort of adventure-style game that offers opportunity for exploration, but I do wonder if it'll be possible for me to avoid depicting violence.  The entirety of human history has been filled with violence, I'm not sure it's possible to get away from.

Last edited by Mike (2014-04-16 06:29:34)

As far as I know tetris wasn't based on a violent game. Strategy or puzzle games tend to not be violent.

The style of game I want to make is The Last of Us though, a sort of story game, but my animation skills are not good enough. I could do it Max Payne style with storyboard paintings, but I really don't have enough sound resources either, nor concept art skills.