Topic: Build with Xcode5 & SDK10.9

Hi,

I'm new in this engine and in 3D, but if everything will go quite smooth I would like to use this engine and also contribute what I can.

But I have several questions:
1. Building engine:
I use OSX 10.9 & XCode5 with 10.9 SDK by default.
- First error happened in assimp (all related to "template" keyword in C++11) - I fixed by adding "template"
- Second error happened in Glee (typedef redefinition in Glee.h) - temporary fixed by commenting out 3 redefinitions
- Third error happened in MCocoaWindow.mm:772 (CGDisplayBestModeForParametersAndRefreshRateWithProperty was removed in 10.9) could be fixed by introducing new function to find best matching display mode.
- Also a lot of deprecation warnings (all deprecated from 10.6)

So I'm stuck with this now and think to implement, but I would like to know development approach before:
Do we need to support OSX version < 10.6 (< Snow Leopard) ? If so I should implement old & new methods. If not - only 10.6 & up.
What level of C++ do we need to support ? I suspect lowest level come from Microsoft platform. If so what is minimum version of VS to support ?
Where can I find platform/tools to be supported ? What about coding rules ?
How can I build experimental version ?

Also if I temporary comment out CGDisplayBestModeForParametersAndRefreshRateWithProperty I could finish compilation,
but then I get many duplicate symbols in 3rdparty/devil/libil.a:
duplicate symbol _iSwapUShort in:
    build/darwin/release/3rdparty/devil/libil.a(il_stack.o)
    build/darwin/release/3rdparty/devil/libil.a(il_wbmp.o)
duplicate symbol _iSwapShort in:
duplicate symbol _iSwapUInt in:
duplicate symbol _iSwapInt in:

2. Using engine:
I don't know well OpenGL programming, but I understand programmable pipeline is the only player (vertex/fragment shaders together with FBO/renderbuffers/...). So I found MStandardRenderer & MStandardShader. But I didn't find any documents how to customize renderer/change shaders/manage parameters. Are there any documents about it ?

Last edited by ksubox (2013-11-01 06:44:55)

Re: Build with Xcode5 & SDK10.9

Welcome KsuBox. I really like Maratis myself. It has so much potential and needs a lot of help. Hopefully soon Anael will comment and be able to help you.

Hi ksubox,

did you try using scons to compile ?
info here : http://wiki.maratis3d.org/index.php?tit … umentation

anael wrote:

did you try using scons to compile ?
info here : http://wiki.maratis3d.org/index.php?tit … umentation

Yes, I used instruction from that page.

But as I understand from build script target OSX SDK now is 10.6,
but I have 10.9 with many deprecation actually removed. So I suspect we need to adjust code.
What do you think about ?

I'm on xcode 4.5.2 and sdk 10.8 (but using 10.6 target) so I don't have access to the same deprecation.

We want to keep the compatibility for 10.6

First, in xcode 5 with sdk 10.9, do you still have the "OSX Deployment Target" with "10.6" option ?
Because code could be corrected for 10.9 sdk but still be binary compatible for 10.6

I'm not very surprised there is errors in Assimp
but I'm surprised there is errors in Glee and DevIL.

Maybe you can try to compile in C++98 instead of C++11
And, try to force the compiler to use OSX SDK 10.6, or at least 10.8 if they are installed.