Topic: Problem with Sponza FPS example

Hello!

I'm having a great time learning how to use Maratis, and with my C++/Blender background, so far its been great. I loaded the Sponza FPS example just fine, but when I run it, it runs slowly, maybe 5 fps. I've run other examples just fine, and played around with the Jules one for about an hour without problems. Any ideas on why it's running so slowly?

Re: Problem with Sponza FPS example

I can't reproduce the problem. Does changing the renderer (fixed/standard) change anything?

Nope, using the standard renderer only makes the graphics look white

EDIT: I just reopened a completely unchanged download and the only thing that's lagging is the mouse input. When I move with the arrow keys, there is no lag.

EDIT 2: I don't think this is lag now. I think it's a problem with the game not looping fast enough. Any ideas on how to boost the FPS?

Last edited by inform880 (2013-11-16 18:52:34)

Hi, it seems related to the mouse update.

Are you on linux by any chance ?
because there is a similar topic here with a fix : http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=724

no, windows 7 64 bit

ok,
can you try this fix : http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?pid=4577#p4577
(modifying centerCursor())

This definitely helped a lot, but it still jumps the camera around a lot, even with a lot higher numbers. Is there a better way to get a better first person camera with the mouse in general, a smoother one?

I think it's worth mentioning that I have been using Maratis all day and all of the sample projects run fine (except this one). I think I might try and look at what's being done when I call each of the functions in the Lua script. If that ddoesn't work, then I'll just make a game plugin that does what the Lua script does. I'd love to find the problem with this though.

Last edited by inform880 (2013-11-17 23:13:22)

I'm not sure what the problem is,
it could be a system code specific, or a gesture recognition problem.

In case it is related to the gesture in windows 7 try to check the mouse properties :
-Go to the Start > Control Panel > Mouse
-Click on the Pointer Options tab
-Ensure that Display Pointer Trails, Smart Move, and Acceleration in Games options are disabled (some of these options may not be displayed, depending upon which version of Windows you are using)
-Exit the Mouse Properties window by clicking OK to save your changes

or :
-Open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Pen and Touch.
-In the menu that pops up, click the "Pen Options" tab at the top.  A list of Pen Actions and their mouse equivalent should appear.
-Select "Press and Hold" and click "Settings..."
-Uncheck the box that says "Enable press and hold for right-clicking" and press "OK".
-Try to disable other options

I tried all of this, with no change in results.

Thanks anyway!

Any other ideas?

when you are using the editor with the mouse, for example to move an object or to rotate the view, is it slow too ?

inform880 wrote:

Any ideas on how to boost the FPS?

Not really a good solution, but you can try to call onSceneUpdate() just after setRotation(...).

anael wrote:

when you are using the editor with the mouse, for example to move an object or to rotate the view, is it slow too ?

Yes, it is slightly slow, but definitely not unusable.

Alright, I tried a different mouse. The first one was a Logitech Bluetooth one and worked terribly. The other one, a wired Microsoft mouse, worked a lot better, even when I tried it with the original script. I have no idea why or how this is happening.

Last edited by inform880 (2013-11-18 23:40:24)

com3D wrote:
inform880 wrote:

Any ideas on how to boost the FPS?

Not really a good solution, but you can try to call onSceneUpdate() just after setRotation(...).

This just freezes it, and causes a stack overflow, as you are calling the function within itself.

Alright, I figured it out. It was the mouse acceleration coming from the Logitech drivers. When I just closed the Logitech program, everything worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help everyone!

good smile