Topic: Terrain Creation and Texture Painting Tutorial

I am getting ready to start the Terrain Creation and Texture Painting tutorial, using only Blender. But I need a little bit more practice.

This is what I am producing now, there are no Normal or Spec maps being used here just a Diffuse. and is 2607 polys
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NijT_sVq_-0/UlOabph9zsI/AAAAAAAABcI/V5NxahetyOQ/w960-h540-no/untitled.png

What do you think?

Last edited by zester (2013-10-08 06:43:20)

Re: Terrain Creation and Texture Painting Tutorial

Looks great and low poly, excellent job!

beautiful !

Thank you, Thank you wink Static Terrains are ........ SOOOOO HARD. Getting them to look right just seems to be an impossible task. Considering I have been working on trying to make that RAGE terrain anael showed us for a YEAR lol.

Last edited by zester (2013-10-08 10:51:00)

I finally got a good solid hold on this terrain creation tutorial, see terrains are hard because there one of the largest item you will have in your game, and if there polycount is to high you have no room on your graphics card for anything else. Also the resolution of there textures is critical, if you don't have a high enough resolution your terrain will look blurry and washed out.

And even after you solve the Polycount and Texture Resolution you will more than likely find that your terrain is to small.

What you are seeing here is part of my terrain grids, are made up of 16 plain's subdivided 6 times with a total of 118,235 triangles.
there are 4 planes per grid with a total of 4 grids.
the section that is missing is the one I am working on now. This is just the "Above Ground" terrains, we have another 16 for the
"Below Ground" subterranean terrain.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yveK-JVUv7k/UmDjxfgD5hI/AAAAAAAABoQ/o_9XtMWODRY/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot9.png

The following 2 screenshots are of different views for Grid1, and is made up of a total of 19,931 triangles. We can see the seams because I need to stitch these 4 terrains together and then re-cut them so when put together they look seamless.

If you look hard you can see our Horse and Character at this distance they show a scale reference of the terrains.

I am going to make a few different versions of this, a "Dessert, Tropical(Path is a River), ...."

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-db8wdy0WS9c/UmDjqfhuHNI/AAAAAAAABng/90jsL2q8uVw/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot1.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iIsDbLyuM9w/UmDjylVC_YI/AAAAAAAABoc/_D_ewRb4xoA/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot7.png

Here is a Horse and Character to use as a scale reference, Grid1 looks small but its really not. The AO maps currently on make the terrain look alot smaller than it is. With proper textures this place will look and feel huge.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WTSPlPu0mmY/UmDjrpDcdUI/AAAAAAAABns/EmzN6rxDOGo/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot2.png

Here is a "small" cave I am randomly placing these on the map.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jPlf6EvB3Uk/UmDjrsDWmOI/AAAAAAAABnw/Wx3_vTxWGsI/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot3.png

Here is a "short tunnel" that leads you into the next screenshot.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XwTwULVntQk/UmDjviXsvNI/AAAAAAAABoA/orjYtOtMwUw/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot5.png

Notice the cavern in the ground this takes you to the "Subterranean Level" that's 4Grids large so its huge.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8fWa9O-nE2g/UmDju4_sETI/AAAAAAAABn8/A4SK7TpaIHc/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot4.png

This can be anything, a volcano, a giant bug hill with monster ants or spiders.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HmyYFo3HKHM/UmDjwUy8jBI/AAAAAAAABoI/7mk3S4iQHN0/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot6.png

This terrain took about an hour to create by hand, so not to long, the polycount is just right, it tiles and the texture maps are 4096x4096 so we should get a really nice high res surface details.

I have been collecting 2D cutouts for years, and I try only to acquire free high quality cutouts, I just uploaded 56 of them the other day and am in the process of adding them to the wiki. We can place lots of vegetation all over our scene.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Os0KqcaWVmE/UmDoEsDaadI/AAAAAAAABpA/F1tMLjwJXWg/w1117-h531-no/Screenshot10.png

As a reference to there quality this is on of the smaller ones its 1053x1531
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0TMUQk7v2U8/Ul7llH-gmpI/AAAAAAAABm0/BNKqkM_4x1I/w444-h646-no/9.png

Last edited by zester (2013-10-18 08:34:31)

Doing some exploratory texture painting, and I think our terrain is going to look grate. This is only the diffusemap, I wonder what a normal map is going to look like.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CPmzXfINoiY/UmELJypQ0UI/AAAAAAAABps/LKirDQJ9nRg/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot11.png

Last edited by zester (2013-10-18 10:28:17)

Looks pretty great, it's exactly that kind of terrain i was trying to make before i give up tongue

Wow Zester! Really good! You are making me want to start a full project! Did you measure the terrain in Blender? I made a post on conversion factors where you can find the scale in Maratis.

Vegas wrote:

Looks pretty great, it's exactly that kind of terrain i was trying to make before i give up tongue

Thank you and happy you like it.
At one point I was going to give-up on them to, but I am seriously hard-headed, so it's just not in my nature to quit. I am glad that I didn't.

Tutorial Doctor wrote:

Wow Zester! Really good! You are making me want to start a full project! Did you measure the terrain in Blender? I made a post on conversion factors where you can find the scale in Maratis.

Thank you also wink
I make you want to start a full project 0.0 lol good then that means I am fulfilling my self designated purpose here on the Maratis forums.

Each Grid is made up of 4 Planes with a Total of 16 Planes overall. What I showed was only one grid. Each plane is equal to the "Blender Grid Plane" <- the grid in blender we normally model on case you didn't know. I didn't have to do any Blender Scale to Maratis scale conversions because of how large my textures are, around 4x larger than a 21inch Wide Screen LCD Monitor. As long as there is no blurring or pixelation it shouldn't matter. But I might have to pre-scale everything after for other reasons idk not worried about it right now.  The focus for the moment is on Polycount and Texture Resolution.

And we have some new 2D Cutouts for our Desert Terrain.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tqR6hriqduU/UmHPMcYMuaI/AAAAAAAABqU/D9Wd0IRqpaA/w1118-h330-no/Ground_Desert_Plants_Family.png

Last edited by zester (2013-10-19 00:32:59)

Wanted to see what this other rock texture would look like, and some of the 2D Cutouts I have.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-scKtGWKB0tU/UmI37SIPXiI/AAAAAAAABrk/GNj3Eu9J6Cw/w1002-h646-no/Screenshot12.png

I think I like this style better.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CPmzXfINoiY/UmELJypQ0UI/AAAAAAAABps/LKirDQJ9nRg/w1071-h646-no/Screenshot11.png

Last edited by zester (2013-10-19 07:46:22)

Zester, how do you get those textures into maratis? I wish Maratis had an import for Image to plane (that retains alpha information.) it would be useful for menus and this type of thing (grass etc)

Tutorial Doctor wrote:

Zester, how do you get those textures into maratis? I wish Maratis had an import for Image to plane (that retains alpha information.) it would be useful for menus and this type of thing (grass etc)

Textures go in the maps directory, Maratis does "should" retain the alpha information the settings are in matirals and texture settings in blender. See http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=534 "BUT" in that example I used the "Import Images as Planes" and it would automatically set the alpha settings correctly, I don't think it does that automaticly anymore, atleast its not working for me.

I have to do something right now but I will post back later on how to do that manually in blender its easy.

TD, to export an alpha texture you just have to make sure the alpha value under transparency is set to 1.
PunBB bbcode test

this might be confusing because inside blender, that transparency option IS the texture alpha value.
but for maratis, that setting is the material opacity value, not the texture alpha value (so if you export with a 0 alpha value, your object will be totally transparent)

And don't forget to set the appropriate Maratis BlendMode (just below material Transparency)

Thanks guys, It's been awhile since I did this my self. I would have ended up telling him howto do it incorrectly and causing frustration.

com3D wrote:

And don't forget to set the appropriate Maratis BlendMode (just below material Transparency)

It depends, i had to use that material option in some situations but i couldn't remember what,
so i made some tests :

1. Full transparent image // Blendmode : None
PunBB bbcode test

2. Full transparent image // Blendmode : Alpha
PunBB bbcode test

3. Blue color (60% opacity) // Blendmode : Alpha
PunBB bbcode test

4. Blue color (60% opacity) // Blendmode : None
I didn't kept the screenshot ! >.< but result was similiar to (2) and the blue edges were visible all around the brush shape (like when you don't premultiply your texture in blender).. the blue background was gone.

So it seems you can't get shadows when the blendemode is set to alpha. on the other hand you can see through colors.

Interesting, thanks Vegas. You are right zester, this would be frustrating. Gotta whoop Blender into shape. haha.

Image format matters either.

For example, the torch in Jules demo is a png file (with alpha transparency).

If we convert into jpg (for filesize matters for example) and tweak the Blendmode, the black background becomes transparent, although jpg format doesn't handle transparency.

Last edited by com3D (2013-10-29 06:46:44)

I don't use blender, actually I avoid it whenever possible ( because sculptris is SO much better for this, and SO much easier!!! ), but having said this, I was successful, finally, in getting textured terrains into Maratis. I was pleased to have success, though honeslty its way too much of a headache for words. It should be a streamlined process, not a invite to calamity wink I hope somehow over time, this is fixed wink I may throw up a tutorial of my own, who knows wink It seems to be a popular thing lately, and now that I have a MIC and a good recording tool both audio and visual...

Oh btw, just in case; I want to state emphatically , for the record, that while some posts may contain references to disgusting, bloody, gruesome,  violent things, that I in no way condone them on any level ( I am not here to support or accept them whatsoever ), wish we could all create non violent based games, and that my signature makes that clear. I am here to partake in the use of a promising MIT based engine , that unlike many other engines, has a decent overall editor with promise.

So thanks Anael for that, though I hope someday you fix the plugin stuff so we aren't a split community ? wink

Last edited by VeganDev (2013-10-20 18:29:33)

So, my cousin was playing GTA5 and I'm looking at it like, "huh?" This is the ranted and raved about big box selling hit?
Mind you, I don't know much about the gaming industry right now, but if that is what sells, I know I can do that.
Zester, your terrain is much better than theirs. And they use flat planes for just about everything (I see where you get the image plane trick from).

I am seeing this on a 60" fancy tv too. So I boot up Maratis and play a few of my demos on it. Uh, even they look better. As for the animations, those are easy too.

I do understand however that the SCALE of the game is much bigger, so that may be why they use so many tricks.

Your terrain looks awesome compared to what I just saw. haha. And you keep the poly count down? Perhaps I should work on some horse BVH files? hehe

Welcome back VeganDev.

VeganDev wrote:

I don't use blender, actually I avoid it whenever possible ( because sculptris is SO much better for this, and SO much easier!!! )

Sculpting terrain in Blender like, Roberto Roch teaches with his "Create a Rocky Video Game Terrain in Blender" defiantly isn't a method I would recommend, it takes to long and requires to much artistic capability. Sculptris might be better suited, I don't know "not a program I use". I use a different method entirely, its fast, easy to do. The above terrain took about an hour, but that was to figure out a good workflow. I(Anyone) can do the same terrain in about 20min or less once you have the workflow down. And then if you want to multires in Blender or "Sculptris" you can.

VeganDev wrote:

I
Oh btw, just in case; I want to state emphatically , for the record, that while some posts may contain references to disgusting, bloody, gruesome,  violent things, that I in no way condone them on any level ( I am not here to support or accept them whatsoever ), wish we could all create non violent based games.

Violent content can also be used to build empathy or used as a deterrent. You can show me one or two articles arguing your point, I can show hundreds of millions of examples  proving mine. I once made a video game for a anti-smoking campaign, as effective as it was it was deemed to be far to explicit for there targeted age range, and never viewed outside of the test group.

I can still see it ... "Want to play again? "NO" Want a cigarette? "Tears" ... "Is that really how you die from smoking!!!"  Ummm yahhh kid thats really what its like.

Note: I doubt any of those kids ever did start smoking after I traumatized them.

I can't wait for the Oculus Rift, I have a whole line up of Anti-Gang, Drug, Bullying, No Means NO!!!!, .... simulations.

Last edited by zester (2013-10-21 03:38:53)

zester wrote:

Welcome back VeganDev.

VeganDev wrote:

I don't use blender, actually I avoid it whenever possible ( because sculptris is SO much better for this, and SO much easier!!! )

Sculpting terrain in Blender like, Roberto Roch teaches with his "Create a Rocky Video Game Terrain in Blender" defiantly isn't a method I would recommend, it takes to long and requires to much artistic capability. Sculptris might be better suited, I don't know "not a program I use". I use a different method entirely, its fast, easy to do. The above terrain took about an hour, but that was to figure out a good workflow. I(Anyone) can do the same terrain in about 20min or less once you have the workflow down. And then if you want to multires in Blender or "Sculptris" you can.

VeganDev wrote:

I
Oh btw, just in case; I want to state emphatically , for the record, that while some posts may contain references to disgusting, bloody, gruesome,  violent things, that I in no way condone them on any level ( I am not here to support or accept them whatsoever ), wish we could all create non violent based games.

Violent content can also be used to build empathy or used as a deterrent. You can show me one or two articles arguing your point, I can show hundreds of millions of examples  proving mine. I once made a video game for a anti-smoking campaign, as effective as it was it was deemed to be far to explicit for there targeted age range, and never viewed outside of the test group.

I can still see it ... "Want to play again? "NO" Want a cigarette? "Tears" ... "Is that really how you die from smoking!!!"  Ummm yahhh kid thats really what its like.

Note: I doubt any of those kids ever did start smoking after I traumatized them.

I can't wait for the Oculus Rift, I have a whole line up of Anti-Gang, Drug, Bullying, No Means NO!!!!, .... simulations.

Well we all need heroes, and that won't ever change. Sad thing is, some kids take as heroes, those who should prob. be in jail, or are in jail. YOu had a bad childhood, I didn't, that's how life goes, but thankfully we can sometimes take that negativity, and turn it into something good. That's the preferred turnaround method wink

However having said that, your example, is just like my high school days where the 'movie in drivers ed' was quite gruesome, and aimed at making sure we would 'slow down' and be extremely dutiful students behind the wheel. I suspect it worked overall , at least for a time, and then, based on childhood and peer pressure, there was another group determined to do nasty things regardless.

It's kind of comparing apples and oranges.  I was mostly referring to  unnecessary and gratuitoius violence in games, like GTA5, which my friend tells me, is even more violent than their predecessors ? NO idea, I've not seen it nor do I plan on it wink

IF the game would leave out the stupid stuff, and leave in the driving around, the snorkeling etc. etc., it would be far more popular I suspect, at least with the kids that have good grades and aren't in life just to cause trouble.

My path is about giving kids/adults less incentive to consider violence ( and the domino effect it can have, as has been seen) by offering games of equal or great enjoyment ( Hitchcock vs todays gruesome nonsense), and there are solid ( as I've shown on these forums) articles backing me up, and your path to use a degree of violence to alter certain types of negative behavior. If so, well then, we get to the same conclusion via a bit different journey wink

I liked your last terrain  more about the texture honestly but it all looked nice wink

All of our entries into game creation at the end of the day, if they are to be a lasting entry, are going to be all about the details and how much it draws in the player into the world we create.

Doubt that ( I know you don't of course), and play WoW sometime , or any similar MMORPG. Allods also looks very nice, though similar to WoW, having simplistic goals that please the masses. Fun at first maybe, especially with a friend, but it soon becomes oh so boring.

cu  around wink
VD

Last edited by VeganDev (2013-10-21 05:36:56)

I wanted to do a terrain speed modeling exercise, before bed.

Subject: Vegas's Tower of Defense Game
Time: 60 Seconds

Ready Set Go ...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5FUaJED2DE0/UmTsjqb7GvI/AAAAAAAABsM/8UJnJKvhG7I/w871-h525-no/Screenshot2.png

Done
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1MDUUnLTNhQ/UmTso3vBroI/AAAAAAAABsU/bgvbMTMSC5w/w871-h525-no/Screenshot27.png

The raised parts(colums) are actually bone, and the idea was "Castle Ruins", with Large Bone's protruding from some of the stone features.

The part by the bridge is suppose to be a spinal column with a nail going threw it, and integrate a rusty gate as a short cut that would open up after the hordes had reached a certain point and activated a switch.

Clearly 60sec is not enough time to do all of that.

Last edited by zester (2013-10-21 09:09:30)

Tutorial Doctor wrote:

So, my cousin was playing GTA5 and I'm looking at it like, "huh?" This is the ranted and raved about big box selling hit?
Mind you, I don't know much about the gaming industry right now, but if that is what sells, I know I can do that.
Zester, your terrain is much better than theirs. And they use flat planes for just about everything (I see where you get the image plane trick from).

I am seeing this on a 60" fancy tv too. So I boot up Maratis and play a few of my demos on it. Uh, even they look better. As for the animations, those are easy too.

I do understand however that the SCALE of the game is much bigger, so that may be why they use so many tricks.

Your terrain looks awesome compared to what I just saw. haha. And you keep the poly count down? Perhaps I should work on some horse BVH files? hehe

lol Thanks, not very many people build there terrains by hand anymore, most use terrain generators and special terrain systems in there game engines with a few specialized shaders. We don't have that luxury.

Skyrim's terrain was not hand made or painted, they used the above.

The scale issue really comes down to your textures and how they are done, thats the hard part. Because even a texture map that is 16384x16384 may not be big enough to support your terrains scale, Note: a 16384x16384 png is like 600mb+

Instead what is done is you chop your terrain up into tiles(more on this later), and you use multiple texture maps, the base texture map always tiles (512x512) and at a higher scale ratio(resized to a smaller size in blender)  this causes the pixels in the 512x512 texture map to become denser and look sharper.

The second layer will be a fullsized transparent texture map like say 4096x4096 and we will paint on this to break up the uniformity of our base texture. So it doesn't look the same everywhere you look. The ground(path) in the following screenshot is using this method, (Sorry I know its hard to see the detail but trust me you can get your face right down there and there is no pixelation, stretching or blurring it looks hi-res).  The hill sides are do not have a tiled base layer they are just the 4096x4096 base map, they would need to be separated from the path and have the same method used on them.

I am still working on this, in my spare time. I think I pretty much have it down, but just haven't tested it yet.

Someone gave me some art books on drawing, surprisingly they also use the box model method of drawing, I guess that apply's to 2d and 3d. Anyways I was looking at the landscape section and seen a flower (Regal Lily) that looked easy enough to model.
I don't know about the rest of you but I would like to have some plants that are not just a 2d cutout on a flat plane.

It appears this flower vary's in shape, color and growth pattern. So I had to find a similar reference online to whats in my book.http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/106/0/8/regal_lily_by_roslaug-d4wfoqe.jpg

This is mine it didn't take very long to do, I just kinda went for it. Its not the best but for being my first flower, I like it wink
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-H3PKcnLhBV4/UmVRgQJzsmI/AAAAAAAABs4/lZ6jE26oquY/w248-h458-no/RegalLilly.png

Note: This thing has 1000 polys, I can't see you wanting you use very many on a terrain, unless you don't mind blowing threw 100 thousand polys  in flowers lol. Hmmm I wounder how duplication works in Maratis.

Last edited by zester (2013-10-21 16:22:21)