Topic: About collisions

Hi,
Great work, really, with this software.
I appreciate it is free and open source, as Blender.
I also appreciate the possibility to script using lua, as I am more comfortable in modeling, animating, etc... the artistic
part rather than the programming one. Scripting in Lua is possible for me but not C++ or any Object Oriented Language.

So, about scripting, a few questions:
- How do you setup collisions between 3d object? Is it possible to choose the shape of the collision volume? Or is it box or sphere collision by default? I see functions about collisions in the Lua functions list but no informations about that.

- How could I script particles emissions with Lua? What would be the workflow?

- Is there a way to implement a "socket" system, so that a player can pick up a weapon or any other object, in his hand?

- Do you plan to add other functions in the Lua List?

And, last: is there a way to display the number of frames per second when running a level?

Hope there are not too many questions for this post.

Last edited by Ed (2011-02-16 14:28:07)

Re: About collisions

Hi !

Collision and physics settings happen in the property tab when you select an entity :

http://www.maratis3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/screen01.jpg

You can choose different shape mode, triangle-mesh is used only for static mesh.
You also have access to physics properties, mass, joints, etc.

If you want to use an entity as a trigger, you can select "invisible" and "ghost"

For scripting, you have some functions to know if there is a collision, one is "isCollisionBetween(obj1, obj2)".
There is not particle system implemented yet, it can be done manually using c++ SDK.
Depending what you need, you can maybe use texture animation for now, but that's not particles.

To pick up objects ? There is multiple way, the best would be to create a special behavior but you want to use script only.
With script, with the collision detection function, you will know if the player touch an object, you can then hide this object and enable a camera-linked weapon which is hidden by default.

I should add script functions yes, for now people can add custom functions with c++ SDK.
You can also make a list of functions you would like to see implemented and I will add it when I will have time.

There is no implemented script function to get fps number or editor option, that's not hard to do I'll try to add it.

Thanks,
Anaël.

Re: About collisions

I'll experiment with the editor and try to make a simple level imported from blender.
So it will be a good way for me to think about other functions a dummy coder like me would like to have wink