Topic: Publishing

Hi,
I just started making a game on Mac OSX, and I was just wondering how to publish the game when it's finished, as in make it an .app file or a .exe file. I made a project file for the game and it has all its content in the correct folders so how would I publish it?

Re: Publishing

Hi,
for publishing copy MaratisPlayer.app along with your game data,
and create a bach file pointing to your project file : there is a bash example in Examples/WaterGameDemo/runWithPlayer
(open the bach file with a text editor)

for window it's similar, using MaratisPlayer.exe and a bat file

In the next version there will be an automatic feature to publish and pack the project files,
it is still in beta, but you can test it by compiling the last svn code of Maratis :
http://code.google.com/p/maratis/source/checkout

Hi

I just found this page because I was having the same problem (info on publishing not too easy to find! ;-) 

My experience was that I had downloaded the binary version for OSX and found the publish project option in the file menu seemed to have no effect - to make sure I had something that should publish, I got the small examples zip linked from the main site, started maratis editor and loaded the project file for the physics example, then tried to publish project immediately.

When I looked in SmallDemos/published it was empty.

So I tried instead to download and compile from source, following the build instructions in the wiki page.

The build seemed to complete successfully, so I ran maratis-read-only/trunk/dev/prod/darwin/release/Maratis/Bin/Maratis.app/Contents/MacOS/MaratisEditor from a terminal shell and tried again to publish the physics example from the newly compiled editor.

This time, the SmallDemos/published directory had changed and I was able to run SmallDemos/published/Physics.app/Contents/MacOS/MaratisPlayer which then ran the physics example as a standalone application.

I did manage to locate the watergame demo at the bottom of the Docs and Examples page on the main site, but was unable to find any bach, batch, bat, bash or sh file within it.

Anyway, I just thought to mention my experience here in case it helps. Possibly it might be worth updating the current binary to fix the publish option for mac (or I might just have been doing it wrong!) and I think it would be a good move to document the publishing process at least slghtly on the wiki - I tried googling for publish site:wiki.maratis3d.org, compile site:wiki.maratis3d.org, xcode site:wiki.maratis3d.org, etc., and the results are pretty sparse!

Anyway, thanks a lot to anyone who worked on maratis - it seems to be an interesting project with lots of promise!

Last edited by Underspecified (2013-04-23 16:37:22)

Hi again, just one further note on publishing with the current svn

I opened the iphone example project file in xcode and it built and ran on the simulator, but when I connected my ipad mini, I found xcode complained about the freetype library (archive format not arm6/7). I noticed in the library search setting, xcode was looking first at the ios_simulator freetype .a file first, so I swapped the order around. This reduced the errors from 7 to 1, but it still didn't like the .a file because there was arm6 but no arm7.

After a bit of googling, I went to https://github.com/cdave1/freetype2-ios, downloaded that as a zip, edited install.sh to use ios6.1 instead of 4.3, ran install.sh and then replaced 3rdparty/freetype/ios/libFreetype2.a with the resulting libFreetype2.a file.

Having gone through that bit of pain, I was able to build and deploy the iphone example onto my actual device.

When I run it, I see a few balls dropping nicely. I'm guessing it might be supposed to do more than that, but will have to wait to see about that smile

Thanks for the feedback Underspecified,
I'll try to sort the freetype issue at some point,
there is this prebuild lib because I didn't find a good way to embed the code directly.

For info, the balls example is just a physics test (no interactivity)
you can play with lua and use "getTouchPosition" or "getAxis" :
http://wiki.maratis3d.org/index.php?title=Axis

anael, thanks for the info, and thanks again for your work making maratis available.

I'm floundering a bit, probably because I'm almost totally ignorant about xcode and how it works.. after using make, configure and so on in a linux environment, it seems damn near perverse with it's impenetrable UI and pbxproj files, etc. I will persevere though.

It would be really nice to have a walkthrough of how to create an ios target xcode project for a maratis project from scratch (or "just" have the code do that for you! ;-) I'm going to see if I can manage to create one anyway, and if I succeed and get time I will try and describe the process.

actually, the ios xcode project is for that,
it's missing some doc, but you can publish a Maratis game using this project just by changing the game data inside :

in "Ressource" :
- remove all file references (just keep the .plist file)
- import your own game project data

If your game is done in lua there is nothing else to do,
but if you used a game plugin in c++, then you also have to add your c++ code to the project and link it.