Topic: My work so far on the Maratis engine

Here is a youtube video that show my slow but steady progress on learning this engine, my running around was to show the footsteps sound system and also to try to trigger the bug where footsteps sounds stop working but it didn't show up, what is good, smile i also show my work on a mouseover system and a flashlight system. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpox0qe5 … e=youtu.be

Re: My work so far on the Maratis engine

Looking good so far ARgoon, but how did you include the 'fog' , did you find that online somewhere on forum ( shader) and if not, please point to it so others can use this in their games if you can. FLashlight of course is just a camera following lightsource.

Im glad to see its a adventure style game, I MUCH prefer these over silly and violent FPS's wink

Nice job so far, but I think as you know , the implications would be quite fun applied on a totally different level, and one that I have planned with maratis too! smile

Why don't you ( and all of the rest of you too!!! ) come join me/us on IRC at irc.freenode.net #maratis,,its getting lonely in there as hardly anyone shows up from these maratis forums.

Come join! wink < its quite friendly, and its nice to share 'live' with your fellow programmers/artists wink

Thanks heartseed the fog is a toggle option on the Maratis Editor for the camera, you need to tweak the fog values of course to make it look like that, yes the flashlight is just s light attached to the camera, but making it turn off and on and even look like a flashlight was not easy for me wink .

Yes adventure style games is what i like the most, but violence could be part of it i'm afraid, for example my idea was to try and make a game in the style of Amnesia the Dark Descent or even Penumbra.

And thanks for the invite for the IRC channel i will see about putting some time away for that.

Yes of course indeed wink SHows how busy Ive been lately, little time for maratis editor..as I really did KNOW that ;)heh

I'm going for ALL non violent game content, and Im seeing now, today, where a lot of people on other forums are HAPPY about it, as they are tired of old fashioned violent games. You do as you wish I totally understand, but just be aware that the tide seems to be shifting and you might do well to follow it. Violent games have just been a 'easy' way to  draw people in, but people seem to be a bit tired of it now and want more 'engaging' thoughtful gameplay. You can BING, and see for yourself wink

NO offense, it's just what I seem to be seeing, and in no way has ANY expectation for how anyone makes their games. IMHO its just a sign of the times, and though other game companies aren't quite 'there yet', its clear that SOME at least are, as seen in the Pandaria expansion by WoW ( blizzard mmo) where they no longer force players to start out killing animals ( start zones). I stopped playing just because of that, so its a nice shift in design for me at least wink

About time wink

cu wink
hs

I'm afraid in can't concur with you, violence in games is and always will be something that attracts people, i'm not saying gratuitous violence mind you like killing innocents and stuff but forms of violence like fighting imaginary monsters etc, this will never stop being fun, also people like to be afraid that is why simple games like Slender Man has so success. For example Frictional Games has become a successful game company because of their horror games, if people would all be shifting for non violent videogames (and violence is relative even Super Mario and Sonic have violence in them) i would be seeing that on the market, right now games Like Crysis 3, BF3 and other COD like games are having immense success, i'm not seeing violence be frown upon anywhere else but here, also violence is not only a easy way to attract people, violence is a tool in the game developer arsenal (pun intended ;D ) but if badly used it can arm the game more then help, violence should be used to support the game story and not as a means in it self. Btw violence is a part of life and it will always be present.

I'm sure you are talking about physical violence like killing or beating, but theres also psychological and verbal violence and the border of what is considered violence of what is not considered violence is very fussy and very dependent of the viewer point of view of his or her culture and morals.

p.s - Sorry for my grammar English is not my mother tongue

Last edited by Argoon (2013-08-27 18:41:34)

Nice work there ,the  fog looks quite good
Keep sharing your work  big_smile.

Last edited by Crucio777 (2013-08-27 18:52:12)

Yes, the haunted h ouse thing , I realize that wink ( that people like to be scared, etc.).

But you must admit, that non violent games are on the rise, I've seen it, and I've seen people on other forums ASK for it, but if you haven't seen that, then I can see that you might think otherwise.

I am a vegan, so its SUPER EASY for  me to want to avoid violence , and  vegan/vegetarianism IS on the rise as well, and that will eventually lend itself to non-violence in games too, and as I noted, its PROOF of this already starting, given you already see blizzards removing at least some aspects of killing animals in starter zones.

Killing fictional 'monsters' as you say prob. doesn't do much harm per se (  although plenty of studies may prove otherwise , if one BING"s for information on that, and make sure one is being 'objective' in that search)

Many people see games like CXOD and Crysis3 as totally b rainDEAD games, as all they do is GLORIFY violence, and I might even go as far to say, that it makes the militiaries jOB so much easier if young people , etc.,  think its 'kewl' to kill. Super Mario has very little violence in it, and I have super Mario for wii and off hand I don't recall much violence there at all, so I think that's a HUGE stretch to say that LOL. LInks ?

If violence is the only way you can think of to 'attract' people, then Im not sure you are giving as much thought to design, as you are to 'coding' wink

I thought this was going to be a 'simple' objective thread, but you are turning it kind of ugly, and you can expect me to fire right back at you in defense of what I see as a changing paradigm, eventually, in publics thinking on violence. Violence is , as it does, and I see no redeeming value to it moving forward as a society.

Opinions on the issue are mixed, but it certainly doesn't hurt to be AWARE of our surroundings and subsequent things we do that can influence others:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/26/tech/gami … index.html

From bottom of article:

"  To be sure, "Bulletstorm" revels in a stream of nonstop profanity and rewards grisly "skill kills" that include impaling opponents on a cactus and chopping them in half. But the worst game in the world?

"I think of it as a teenage shooter game that tries to get attention by being gross, obscene and sexually charged," CNN.com video-game contributor Larry Frum wrote when it was released. "It is funny at first, but after a while, it becomes tired."
"

SOme of those things really make my blood boil ( makes me sick too!), and make me wonder, really?, what is the point in doing such things if not to make profit off of VIOLENCE ? Is that responsible I wonder ? HM.....

Makes me think as a society, all we care about sometimes is egging on the WORST parts of who we are instead of making strides in improving ourselves. 

Make the game you want obviously, that's entirely up to you, but all I did was put forth a opinion based on what I see as 'responsibility' , and some of the comments from that article would suggest we do just that wink

FOr more objectivity from a scientist, I offer th is:

http://ithp.org/articles/violentvideogames.html

Objectivity matters.   IM all about it. Fair is fair wink

Thanks Crucio777 i will try to show more stuff when i feel they are worth showing. smile

heartseed  I'm not trying to start anything if i see you or anyone else pass the line of courtesy i will end the conversation with that person right there.

Now i'm not sure if you comprehended my message, i'm not pro violence but i'm also not anti all violence that imo is a very skewed and unrealistic view of what we as humans and also part of nature are, for example you said you are a vegan, did you didn't realize that by eating plants you are being violent to that same plants? This takes us to what i also said, i said  that violence is a very relative thing what i consider violence you could not consider and vice versa, for example you not seeing the super Mario jump on turtles and other fictional characters and also the Sonic way of killing the Doctor Eggman minions has violence. wink

Last edited by Argoon (2013-08-27 19:25:45)

Argoon I like how you managed to build the ambiance,
I'm curious to follow your work.

Thanks anael but please don't be too expectant on this ;D , it was only a small play around on the engine i'm still way ways away of making a game with this.

Argoon wrote:

Thanks Crucio777 i will try to show more stuff when i feel they are worth showing. smile

heartseed  I'm not trying to start anything if i see you or anyone else pass the line of courtesy i will end the conversation with that person right there.

Now i'm not sure if you comprehended my message, i'm not pro violence but i'm also not anti all violence that imo is a very skewed and unrealistic view of what we as humans and also part of nature are, for example you said you are a vegan, did you didn't realize that by eating plants you are being violent to that same plants? This takes us to what i also said, i said  that violence is a very relative thing what i consider violence you could not consider and vice versa, for example you not seeing the super Mario jump on turtles and other fictional characters and also the Sonic way of killing the Doctor Eggman minions has violence. wink

Where was I not curtious I wonder ? I was nothing but completely objective in  stating my opinions.

YOu on the other hand are crossing a line, by being ridiculous about 'eating plants' causing harm to them, when in absolute FACT, plants have zero nervous system, and zero brain, vs killing innocent animals who aren't asking for it, in horrible slaughter houses, as if humans have NO choice whatsoever of what to eat. This would DEvolve into a conversation into veganism vs eating meat, but that most certainly is NOT for t his forum, and I would never  do that.

I offered 2 solid links , by a scientist, and you had a problem with that why exactly ?

I offered objective scientific proof about a issues that is  quite important, without passing judgement on anyone, so Im not the one to go after here, it should be the scientist who wrote that article. If you disagree with his findings, attack him, NOT me wink

Ignore me if you want , though again, I did nothing wrong for that to be necessary, and for you to say so, is a bit odd. All I did was give my opinion on the matter, the current stats on some game companies ( blizzard, afterall they are HUGE, so it mattered a lot to mention them!) who are going less violent, and objective studies done by a credible scientist about this very issue. I think I went out of m yway to offer credible  information on the issue, and let you , and others, decide.

cheers
hs

I was not trying to start a fight with you when i made that remark but only to pass a point across, so ok this conversation is over heartseed, and i ask that you please refrain yourself from continuing this discussion on this thread, you are welcome of course to critique my work if objectively of course.

Last edited by Argoon (2013-08-27 20:11:04)

I will be happy to do that, and I will always be objective as I always am. Just realize, instead of WARninG ME, that if I say something you don't like,,its not me be OFFENSive, its just me saying precisely what's on my mind in a way to help you possibly improve something.

cheers
hs

Ok i will do that from now on cheers. smile

A update on what i was able to do with this engine, smile , unfortunately  i will need to wait for the engine to mature further to be able to implement some other stuff i have in mind, so updates will not be so regular for now on. sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvV-Y5x53qg

Hope you guys like it.

It s a nice start wink

WHat features are lacking, and do you think you can add them with plugins ?

NIce stuff wink

cheers
hs

Thanks heartseed smile

The more important things that i miss right now is more shaders, like glass shader, water shader, a texture animation shader (i know about the blender workaround but is too much work for something that should be so simple),  a robust and easy to use particle system this is one of the things that i really miss, shadows from all lights would also be good, but i can live without it,  one also thing i missed when editing this engine was the ability to change textures/materials/sounds on the editor or by LUA coding.

About plugins i don't know anything about C++ to make plugins, is hard enough for me to try learning LUA, ;D .