Topic: A Rig for Maratis(Free)

Updated the Rig to be used with MakeHuman meshes.
It is a Blender File.
It has Inverse Kinematics(IK) for the hands and feet.
The hip and hip_root bones let you rotate the hips more naturally.
It also has knee and elbow pole targets.
I also left in a female walk cycle in the pose library

PunBB bbcode test
PunBB bbcode test

DOWNLOAD:
https://sites.google.com/site/aasfsfasa … ameRig.zip

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-10-10 23:22:09)

Re: A Rig for Maratis(Free)

Very nice!

THank you for taking the time to add this to the maratis library for those uncomfortable with making their own characters, though to me anyway,and I have to offer this opinion to be honest, it looks a bit out of shape for a human, hips are way too wide and head is really weird. It's the thought that counts.

Also, the OBJ file you included,   and thanks for that for non blender users, is very ROUGH compared to the .blend file, just letting you know wink

I would therefore like to offer what has bee noted in other forums:

http://www.makehuman.org/

"  You can get the character you need quickly and easily. Change the height, weight, sex or facial features with a slide of a button. It’s all within your control.  "

I"ve yet to use it, but with a feature set like that, who can argue not trying wink

Cheers
hs

The rig is the main feature of this post. It can be added to any mesh simply. That character is only a base mesh. The function of my base mesh characters are to be a template for quickly modeling your own mesh. The included mesh is just a subdivision of the base mesh.

I have makehuman myself. I sorta like it, but it Is not diverse enough to create any type of character (Pixar style character). Also the makehuman rigs are a bit too complex for me.

I will work on some full models made from the base mesh once I get some other stuff done.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-09-04 21:53:15)

Sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense to me at all. I am a modeler also ( granted, Ive not been doing it for YEARS but Im getting quite comfortable with most things), but how does this ' base mesh' allow me to create my own character from it and how in precise detail as others would also  need this information, does this base 'mesh' allow me to use it as a 'template' for quickly modeling my own mesh ? Do you mean simply as a 'reference' ? If so Im not sure how useful that is, given there are tons of character models on the internet to be used as such things. Until I get more detail from you, I think my assumptions are reasonable. Just mostly trying to verify this for other new modelers/programmers/animators that may come here and be wondering the same things.

Btw, I was aware this rig was the main purpose of this post, and that is  why I replied here. Maybe we have a communication problem going on ? I can think of far worse things to occur, but still I need to verify.

Cheers
hs

heartseed wrote:

Sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense to me at all. I am a modeler also ( granted, Ive not been doing it for YEARS but Im getting quite comfortable with most things), but how does this ' base mesh' allow me to create my own character from it and how in precise detail as others would also  need this information, does this base 'mesh' allow me to use it as a 'template' for quickly modeling my own mesh ? Do you mean simply as a 'reference' ? If so Im not sure how useful that is, given there are tons of character models on the internet to be used as such things. Until I get more detail from you, I think my assumptions are reasonable. Just mostly trying to verify this for other new modelers/programmers/animators that may come here and be wondering the same things.

Btw, I was aware this rig was the main purpose of this post, and that is  why I replied here. Maybe we have a communication problem going on ? I can think of far worse things to occur, but still I need to verify.

Cheers
hs

The base mesh:
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=735

Is a very low poly model that has enough vertices to allow you to easily line up key features of the model to an image of your choice without the hassle of moving thousands of vertices.

It also has a basic topology flow that when subdivided gives a pretty good base for sculpting (or for re-defining your topology quickly.)

By simply scaling and moving these few vertices, you can form the base of any humanoid character in a few minutes.

It has few enough vertices that you can add your own edge loops as well for more detail.

All the models made on that page were all made within an hour, and I could probably get the base of about 7 models in less than 30 minutes (guessing).

If I added too many edge loops myself, people wouldn't have enough freedom to personalize the features themselves.

Example:
The Upper arm has just four edges. The crook of the arm is defined by one edge loop (3 needed for good deformation, but you can add that if that is what your character needs). It is the same for the leg. The foot is just a face extrusion.

EDIT: I added 3 edge loops to the base mesh because I thought it was too basic not to have these to define the knees and the crook of the leg. I also split the upper leg into two parts to separate the hip from the knee. 

Basically, if you prefer to model your own figures (for licensing reasons or any other reason), this is just one way to get it done quickly.

I have searched for base models over the internet, and haven't found one that is customizable with decent topolgy at one subdivision level. They either were too basic or too complicated. Also the subdivisions give strange topological results. I think the best modeler for creating base meshes for  sculpting would be ZBRUSH (z-spheres), and this ipad app called 123d Creature (Although it only is good if you are going to sculpt).

This base mesh gives a good flow of topology when it is subdivided, few vertices, and easy is  to customize.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-09-05 02:00:57)

Is a very low poly model that has enough vertices to allow you to easily line up key features of the model to an image of your choice without the hassle of moving thousands of vertices.
-------------

I still dont' see how this is a lot easier than just doing it in Makehuman. Makehuman is made for such things isn't it ?

Can you do some video tutorial illustrating what you're saying so the rest of us understand ? wink

I"ve not gotten, 'yet', to creating characters, and I've not really seen Anyone on these forums do so either, because most of us are alone , not in big teams, so its SLOW progress going from idea , plots and then to models /animations, etc.

I therefore , and I'm 100% sure this applies to most everyone else too,  am barely past the 'idea' phase.

I very much as I know anael and everyone else does, your hard work in creating what you call a base mesh, but Im not convinced yet that using it is in anyway a superior 'method' vs say using MakeHuman , which is designed precisely for this and does a lot more essentially and on top of that is crossplatform to the big 3 OS's.

Due to your work on this I hope someone can make use of it of course , but as noted Im unsure how this method can reduce my workload versus MakeHuman, but I'm certainly willing to check things out.

I'm happy to try both and let you know wink

Btw, IF you have enough Blender experience, I could use some tiny assistance.

I can't import my MESH into maratis, using Maratis exporter because all I get is a TINY DOT afterwards, and I have no idea why.

I am having trouble getting cursor centered over grid and object itself , and Ive tried everything but blender refuses to center it. THis is what really bothers me about b lender, is that this kind of thing just never happens to me anywhere else, yet in blender far too often, but atm all we have is blender for export because Ive tried exporting and importing in maratis editor with 'import 3d model' from a support format, but that doesn't always work so back to blender we must go. Not good, but atm at least only necessary for a brief moment for exporting. whew. Anyway the 'dot' in blender respresenting object ? I guess, refuses to line up OVER the object itself, and Ive tried S cript-c and Shift S and nothing has worked so far.

My object is on the left side, and the cursor on the right side and nothing is working to get them to JOIN  in the center, and good luck trying to find out how given things change so quickly from release to release.

I just tested my mesh in sculptris > export OBJ, import OBJ in blender and my object is still shifted far to the left of cursor, and nothing I can think of to do fixes it. Maybe using blender was a huge mistake as it should not be this difficult to fix something like this SIGH. HOnestly Im not happy with EITHER community, blender or wings, so both are mostly off my radar anymore. Any object I try to open ( obj) does the same thing, as the cursor is in the very corner of object, instead of centered over it , as default cube does.  Why me...

irc.freenode.net > #maratis, and I'm known as neighborlee there. Have to go downstairs for a bit, but I'll check  back in hour or so and maybe you can lead me to a fix for this mess Im in with blender cursor issues. The hassle is almost not worth it smile I have  BING'ed till blue in the face, and nadda.

Cheers
hs

heartseed wrote:

-------------

I still dont' see how this is a lot easier than just doing it in Makehuman. Makehuman is made for such things isn't it ?

Can you do some video tutorial illustrating what you're saying so the rest of us understand ? wink

I"ve not gotten, 'yet', to creating characters, and I've not really seen Anyone on these forums do so either, because most of us are alone , not in big teams, so its SLOW progress going from idea , plots and then to models /animations, etc.

I therefore , and I'm 100% sure this applies to most everyone else too,  am barely past the 'idea' phase.

I very much as I know anael and everyone else does, your hard work in creating what you call a base mesh, but Im not convinced yet that using it is in anyway a superior 'method' vs say using MakeHuman , which is designed precisely for this and does a lot more essentially and on top of that is crossplatform to the big 3 OS's.

Due to your work on this I hope someone can make use of it of course , but as noted Im unsure how this method can reduce my workload versus MakeHuman, but I'm certainly willing to check things out.

I'm happy to try both and let you know wink

Btw, IF you have enough Blender experience, I could use some tiny assistance.

I can't import my MESH into maratis, using Maratis exporter because all I get is a TINY DOT afterwards, and I have no idea why.

I am having trouble getting cursor centered over grid and object itself , and Ive tried everything but blender refuses to center it. THis is what really bothers me about b lender, is that this kind of thing just never happens to me anywhere else, yet in blender far too often, but atm all we have is blender for export because Ive tried exporting and importing in maratis editor with 'import 3d model' from a support format, but that doesn't always work so back to blender we must go. Not good, but atm at least only necessary for a brief moment for exporting. whew. Anyway the 'dot' in blender respresenting object ? I guess, refuses to line up OVER the object itself, and Ive tried S cript-c and Shift S and nothing has worked so far.

My object is on the left side, and the cursor on the right side and nothing is working to get them to JOIN  in the center, and good luck trying to find out how given things change so quickly from release to release.

I just tested my mesh in sculptris > export OBJ, import OBJ in blender and my object is still shifted far to the left of cursor, and nothing I can think of to do fixes it. Maybe using blender was a huge mistake as it should not be this difficult to fix something like this SIGH. HOnestly Im not happy with EITHER community, blender or wings, so both are mostly off my radar anymore. Any object I try to open ( obj) does the same thing, as the cursor is in the very corner of object, instead of centered over it , as default cube does.  Why me...

irc.freenode.net > #maratis, and I'm known as neighborlee there. Have to go downstairs for a bit, but I'll check  back in hour or so and maybe you can lead me to a fix for this mess Im in with blender cursor issues. The hassle is almost not worth it smile I have  BING'ed till blue in the face, and nadda.

Cheers
hs

Yeah, hopefully someone can use it. And a video tutorial is a great idea! I will work on that.

As for the maratis mesh issue, I am having issue with the origin. I know in blender, if you bring up the tools menu (T) there is a button named ORIGIN. This allows you to set the origin of the selected object to either the center of mass or the 3d cursor.

There is also a button on the 3d View toolbar that allows you to set the center of rotation (it looks like two overlapping circles).

I agree that Blender is not intuitive at all. Just like you, it is all I have to work with, other than Wings3D, Sculptris, Meshlab, Sketchup, etc. hehe

I am almost thinking of buying Curious Labs Poser again (Version 8 is so cheap these days on Amazon). I really want version 10, but it is $299 (too much for my blood). Version 9 however should be only $80 (might check that out).

OKay , thanks for reminder about the ORIGIN wink))

Being under transform, Im not sure makes sense as to where one would typically find something like this , but its definitely better than it was, but still not centered over my terrain object. I"ve tried 'median' etc., but no value alters cursor position at all, its all the same, which is very odd. I tried center of mass as well, but the entire mesh disappeared from view and I could not find it zooming, so I went back to ORIGIN.

I guess this is the best I can hope for so ORIGIN it is wink)

heartseed wrote:

OKay , thanks for reminder about the ORIGIN wink))

Being under transform, Im not sure makes sense as to where one would typically find something like this , but its definitely better than it was, but still not centered over my terrain object. I"ve tried 'median' etc., but no value alters cursor position at all, its all the same, which is very odd. I tried center of mass as well, but the entire mesh disappeared from view and I could not find it zooming, so I went back to ORIGIN.

I guess this is the best I can hope for so ORIGIN it is wink)

one more trick. I forgot to mention. If you select an object in object mode then activate the 3D manipulator(looks like red,blue,green lines intersecting), and then press [shift + S] it will bring up snapping options.

If you place the cursor somewhere you can snap the 3D manipulator(center of rotation) to the location of the cursor.

Also [shift+C] places the cursor at location {0,0,0}

I will try to figure out what is causing this (tried to get a model in maratis but the center was off, so it rotated weird).

I may not have been as clear as I could have been, but yup I was trying Shift-S often, but nothing was working, yet ORIGIN got  me closer than anything had, but   while cursor itself was indeed at 000, the mesh ( terrain in this case) was definitely OFF center noticeably. No clue what's going on.

So the issue seems to be that the mesh itself somehow got confused and isn't communicating with its proper center as relates to my terrain mesh, and about that I've no idea why not. I  thought I used to know how to fix it, but I can't recall given Ive not really used blender much over the last several months. One last thing, when I click  origin > center of mass, the terrain mesh completely disappears altogether. Weird ? wink

Good luck trying to work on this issue, I'll be back tomorrow as its late here.

Cheers
hs

Ok I have resolved it I blender 2.68, by clicking left mouse button and moving cursor to center of mesh ( not very exact but im not sure how to do it automatically atm).  However when I do origin to center of mass the entire terrain mesh disappears. It doesnt' do this on a new plane for example, but just on my mesh. Is there anyway to sort out what's causing this just on my mesh ?

Thx
hs

Just a note about MakeHuman.

If you happen to be using Ubuntu 13.04, then the latest version of MakeHuman will NOT run (well, the 32-bit version won't run - I have no experience of the 64-bit version). This is a problem which, we're told, will be solved in the next major release of MakeHuman.

However, things aren't as bad as they seem, because the Windows version of MakeHuman DOES run in Ubuntu 13.04 under Wine. That surprised me a little, so I've been trying to break it - I haven't succeeded.

Last edited by Poodle (2013-09-06 09:02:51)

Poser 8 is going for $25
Poser 9: $75
Poser 10 (latest): 224

On Amazon.com

I might use one of these as they make animation easier as well as shaping figures. I think it's only PC/Mac though.

What about the freely available ( atm anyway) dazstudio ?

Never used it, no idea 'how good' it really is vs the others, just saying its there..

http://www.daz3d.com/products/ < ok ya, its free..the 'worthy' part I have no idea, atm. Not ready to go down the road
of making chARACTERS just yet. Too busy on my terrain/texturing it wink

heartseed wrote:

What about the freely available ( atm anyway) dazstudio ?

Never used it, no idea 'how good' it really is vs the others, just saying its there..

http://www.daz3d.com/products/ < ok ya, its free..the 'worthy' part I have no idea, atm. Not ready to go down the road
of making chARACTERS just yet. Too busy on my terrain/texturing it wink

Glad you mentioned that. The first 3D program I practically ever used was actually Daz studio, mainly because It was free and Poser wasn't, and it was a quick way to get into animation without all the technical stuff as making your own meshes and rigging them and texturing them and all the other stuff.

Eventually I was able to afford Poser 6.

Daz, at first was light and neat. But poser was bulky and complex. Now Daz studio is very heavy and clunky, and just a pain to use. I have had Poser 6,7 and 8, And now Poser 10 is out (Poser 10 is awesome now!)

Even though Daz studio is free, they make their money from content. You get basic posing features, but you are going to need to buy the morph targets and such things to actually create your own unique characters. However there are several popular open sourced models that you can download into Daz/Poser.

One such character is the Antonia model which was actually modeled in Wings3D. (There is an antonia for daz also, but the one I am speaking of is called Antonia Polygon) Also there is a male mesh called ApolloMaximus. Completely free.

Also Daz requires you to pay for all the cool plugins as well. Especially the animation ones. In that case $25 for for poser 8 is actually a deal.

Also Antonia Polygon works much better with poser than daz studio.

I am thinking of using poser to make bvh animations and then apply them in Blender. But if I could afford Poser 10 I would surely get that with the new features it has. It has the pixar plugin for optimizing meshes now. It also has a better cloth simulator for clothing. And also the models that come with it are pixar quality. Also has a better physics system now.

I'm thinking of just getting Poser 9 though.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2013-09-07 04:34:50)

Ya dunno, I've never played much with any of them. I'll try daz though and see how it goes but ya I appreciate your input. Unless poser is nothing short of amazing compared to open source alternative MakeHuman, I'd have little temptation to get it, so w'ell h ave to see smile)

Changed the Rig. Now it is made for MakeHuman meshes.