Topic: Maratis Game Creation Starter Pack?

I just had an idea of creating a starter pack of objects, sounds, fonts, etc for maratis.

When you first get Maratis, you really have nothing to manipulate. So I created a bunch of primitives and put them in the meshs folder. You also have no sounds, nor fonts loaded (I understand copyright stuff with fonts).

I have made some test rooms and some assets for maratis, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to contribute to a Maratis Starter pack.

Of course, we would have to get the scale correct. so that all objects are at the right scale. Anyone interested?
Anyone have any ideas of what essential types of objects (other than primitives) they would like to have in a starter pack?

Re: Maratis Game Creation Starter Pack?

I guess a character controller and example scripts.

Good idea. Currently I use the script from the Jules demo for third person characters, and the script from Sponza for 1st person.

I have a character controller script myself, but it is not finished. The example scripts is a good idea. Vegas has made a few already, if he doesn't mind, I would like to add them to the starter pack. Right now I have about 1,000 free fonts in the project, and I re-did the primitives so that they rotate about their centers.

I should be able to make a male and female character with idle, walking, and jumping animations, for testing, but that will be last, as I want it to be good.

Perhaps a few small scripts for standard motions could be added. For example, a script that makes an object move left to right continuously.

A car that moves on a path script. (probably moves from a to b, etc.)
A basic Enemy AI script(so that we can use it in our projects).
A 2 players game script.
A menu script.
A hud script.
A dialogue script.

Vegas's text display scripts can be found here:
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=909

He has some health bar examples here:
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=154

Light Examples:
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=138

Door Lift:
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=72

Third Person:
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=140

I need to finish working on this "Senses System" I have. The system works like AI sort of. So far, I have it where if an object sees another object, it will veer left or right. It can also jump when it sees an object. It is sort of like a physics based AI system that can be applied to anything.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2014-04-27 17:56:58)

Those are great examples and nice learning material. Is the "Senses System" a lua script?

Tutorial Doctor wrote:

I just had an idea of creating a starter pack of objects, sounds, fonts, etc for maratis.

When you first get Maratis, you really have nothing to manipulate. So I created a bunch of primitives and put them in the meshs folder. You also have no sounds, nor fonts loaded (I understand copyright stuff with fonts).

I have made some test rooms and some assets for maratis, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to contribute to a Maratis Starter pack.

Of course, we would have to get the scale correct. so that all objects are at the right scale. Anyone interested?
Anyone have any ideas of what essential types of objects (other than primitives) they would like to have in a starter pack?

A good idea would be to do something similar to UDK and their starter kits that are centered around a typical mode or genre of gameplay: FPS starter kit, platformer starter kit, and so on...

Yes. The senses script is Lua.

Good idea about the starter packs for genres. I downloaded about 2,000 sounds yesterday. The file size is getting big. For the sounds and fonts I am at 350mb. So splitting it up by genres would be better.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2014-04-27 17:57:31)

Yes genres is better.

The Pack is at 2.5GB with only sounds and fonts. There is nowhere I could upload that much stuff at once (for free).
I wish there were a free and secure service for large file hosting. Right now I am using Dropbox and Google Sites but Google Sites has a limit of 20MB per file, and a maximum 100mb for each site. I have the free version of Dropbox(2GB).

This is why we need some sort of content store.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2014-03-04 17:02:13)

That's crazy! I think, that the users should download sounds and fonts when they need them only some links are needed to point to them.
More tuts on the wiki should be add like for example to try to transfer some Unity3d tuts to Maratis, so that new users can start from them.
Like this:
http://www.saintannsny.org/depart/compu … orial.html
and this: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/103421 … on-1-Draft

The Pack is at 2.5GB with only sounds and fonts.

That's insane indeed ^^

imo a started pack should not be over 50mo or 100mo at the very max,
even in 50 mega you can put a lot of stuff
but for the pack i suggest to provide only what people really need to make experiments,
like a fully animated character (here i suggest making use of Clint Bellanger's platformer animations as main character, it's about perfect for that purpose smile

+ few environments (theres is alot of these on blender swap)
+ different types of controls and differents camera views

for scripts, personnaly i prefer scripts in very small, isolated examples, where you have -only- what's needed to run the example, so you don't get confused by all the other stuff around, and can easily copy/adapt it to your needs if you wish,
i think it will be chaos if you use a single project to show multiple completely different things, but that's just me

for sounds, maybe it will be best to provide like 10 sounds of each "universe" (see below)
and class them like this, or something :

UNIVERSE > OBJECT TYPE > SOUND ACTION

example :

Scifi_door_open
Scifi_door_close
Scifi_gui_click
Scifi_gui_cursor_move
Scifi_explosion_EMPgrenade

Medieval_door_open
Medieval_gui_click
Medieval_explosion_barrel

Retro_jump
Retro_shoot_laser
Retro_shoot_shotgun

etc..

will be even better if they are all at the same gain and all ready for 3D use so
people won't have to struggle with the settings

Good tips. Vegas. The other day I stumbled across a post about a Starfish rig. It is a rig with only 5 bones that can fully animate a character. This would make the rigging process faster for me.

I was looking for environments the other day, I will try blendswap. Thanks. I forget which file type can be used for 3dsound. I found out the other day that I can use .aiff in maratis, which is perfect, because the text to speech app I use only exports aiff, so the human voice files will be easy to create. MP3 isn't supported, so I had to convert all 2,000 sound effects to .wav

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2014-04-27 17:58:09)

Akira, the links you provided are a good resource for getting ideas for tutorials. I am going to try to do something with the suggestions here today.

Edit: Okay, so I have the same basic controls for a 3rd person character (started from scratch).

The character can change animations and move forward and back as well as spin left and right. I can also toggle cameras. I am still using a very basic mesh that doesn't have any complex clothing. The walk animation is a bit smoother now, but I don't have any transition poses from the end of the walk animation to the start of the idle animation (it just snaps to the first frame, which is okay for me).

How should I clean it up and package it though? I could include the Maps and Meshs folder, as well as the Blender file (for editing). I still don't want to package this particular one, as it doesn't have a good looking mesh. I am going to try to get a decent one done now.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2014-03-25 22:23:47)

could you submit the current pack ? i have some movement/camera scripts that might help too

I'm trying to figure out what to submit, and how to submit it, and what to include. Perhaps I can upload 10 sounds and ten fonts. I want to upload a character with a "good" walk, idle, and run animation. Perhaps a jump and kneel animation also?

For testing in first person, I just use the Sponza level (instead of re-creating it myself).

What part would you like me to submit? I uploaded my senses system here:
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=763

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2014-03-26 00:17:50)

I wished everything tongue

well if you can pack this:
-sponza level
-your character (blender file not essential if you dont want to upload it)
-sounds
-fonts
-movement/camera scripts you already made

that will be great

Okay. Will do. I am going to clean it up and organize it first though. I remembered I had a Box.com account that gave me like 50GB or 500GB (can't remember) so I could upload all files. But to keep it light, I will pick and choose. I will also organize the scripts and comment them (so that they are legible).

I am going to make a different character first though (doesn't take long, because I am using quidam studio). I also animate my characters with A custom Blender download:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr … Kinematics

I will upload the blend files also.

Anyone have any ideas of standard phrases that I can generate with this text to speech app? So far I have:

Animating...
Walking...
Running..
Idling...
Jumping...

Falling...
I see something...
I hear something...
I feel something...
I smell something...
I taste something...

Game Over...
I am indoors.
I am outdoors.

Who turned on the lights?
Who turned off the lights?

Can't go this way!
Moving forward.
Moving backward.
Turning right.
Turning left.

I don't think these phrases can be applied in a variety of cases. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Perhaps I can use the voices for debugging purposes. For instance, I can play a voice when a collision happens, or when the character starts an animation. If the character is walking, I will play a voice that says "walking."

I use the voices in a similar way in my senses system level.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2014-03-26 03:09:37)

I want to include particles also. Here is a link to the system I will include:

http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=794

I am going to put additional scripts in a main script file using dofile, and somehow get them to all work in one project. I might just create several levels for one project. We will see.

Edit: Scratch that, it would take too long to move all the dependencies into the right place.

Edit: Okay, I have all the scripts set up, now I am going to start making tiny little useful functions. I added scripts for each Function category (lights.lua camera.lua etc). I also copied and pasted in all of the API functions into the scripts so you don't have to keep referencing the wiki.

If I can get dofile() to jump up a directory correctly, I can organize them better.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2014-04-08 03:28:24)

Vegas has a script and project for orthographic(2d) style games:

http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=967