Re: New Maratis scene editor based on the FLTK toolkit

Nice to hear, MaratisFan smile
Have fun with it!

Mike: Does it work now?

Ok, here some more: Now objects can cast shadow-on/off, Add a receive shadow too. all of that can be useful when using baked shadows.
When duplicate an object preserve its name. The same for the prefabs. Also use the name of the added mesh/entity.

That receive shadow feature sounds useful. Should not be that difficult.
The object name issue is not hard to do either.
I will see if I can do it tomorrow since I want to finish the skybox first.

Thanks for your participation smile
Have fun!

I just uploaded an initial implementation of the skybox rendering feature.
It needs some testing so you can download the current daily build and try it if you want.

The build can be found on the download page: http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?page_id=83

You can give any camera a skybox in the editor or in any script.

In Lua you have to call:

loadCameraSkybox(camera, pathToSkybox)

pathToSkybox has to be a directory containing {"negx.jpg", "negy.jpg", "negz.jpg", "posx.jpg", "posy.jpg", "posz.jpg"}
They will be loaded and displayed if everything is successful.

Have fun!

When I downloaded it, and ran it on Windows 8, every time I clicked in the scene, it created a camera.

Last edited by Tutorial Doctor (2014-08-18 15:53:59)

I can't reproduce this (Windows 7 and Linux).
What else did you do?

It would be nice to provide a testing file.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I practically did nothing. I was wondering if it was a feature or not, because I rebooted it, and it still did it.

I will try later.

I integrated particle systems into the editor.
You can download the current daily build and try it!

News: http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?p=138

If something does not work simply tell me big_smile

Have fun!

Hey Sponk, that particle system looks amazing, but when i'm trying to
add one, there's a little problem (i'm on win XP 32bits) :

PunBB bbcode test

After this i'm unable to click anywhere, the editor just crash.

Hey Vegas!

Thank you for reporting. I could reproduce it on XP as well. It seems that the particle count does not initialize correctly and goes through the roof sometimes leading to an allocation way too big for the heap.

I fixed it and the new version is now online.
I hope this one works big_smile

BTW: The editor crashes sometimes at exit in virtualbox. Does it happen on native Windows too?

Hehe that's working great !
Texture assigning works perfect also wink
There's just a crash when you try to change the ParticleNumber a second time
And it's fine here on exit, no crashes over 5 tries wink

Ok, i tested the particles and i managed to make the crash with the particles too.
1: set a particlesNumber. 2: change the number - crash
image - > http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=75804
Maybe you could add an open and remove button, where you paste the texture.

Whoops, I forgot to return the from the update when it detects that you changed the number of particles.
Already fixed big_smile

Akira_san: Yeah, I was thinking about that. That would then also be used in the LuaScript behavior.

I'm currently uploading yet another version that (hopefully) won't have any other particle related bugs tongue
You'll be able to grab it in 10 minutes or so.

Have fun with it big_smile

I just closed the last "enhancement" issue on GitHub.
That means that now begins the phase of testing before the new 0.3 release.

I wrote some documentation about the new Lua API functions btw.
It is not yet completed but you might still be interested: http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?wpwtds … -lua-api-2

Have fun!

It seams the daily builds - zip file is damaged after download. What about some doc generator, instead of writing them manually?

Well, Lua docs for C++ bindings can not be automated. I was already looking for a solution and did not find one.
The C++ docs are created using Doxygen.

Thanks for pointing out the damaged zip file. It seems that my build server crashed while uploading.
(That's what you get when you use Windows for something like this tongue)

I reuploaded everything. It should work now.
Have fun!

It works now. Why are the particles going so high in the view, but cant see them when running the game?
Edit: nope, it was some parameter, but still cant see them when running the game.

Last edited by Akira_san (2014-08-22 20:04:22)

You need to update your player with the menu option everytime you update Neo. Just click "Project->Update Player" and you should be fine.

Thx, that works! The particles need a loop parameter, you dont want them to loop all the time in the editor. smile A particle api could be added too like Isvisible = Bool, isActiove = Bool.

You already can deactivate the particle system. Simply set "ParticlesNumber" to 0 and not particles will be emitted and all logic will be skipped. "isActive" would not do anything else. "isVisible" could be used together with occlusion culling etc. but then you would need a parent that is at least the size of the area where particles can land.

There are some other things I want to do on the particle system side like multithreading or fade out.

Should those things land in 0.3 or should we introduce them in 0.4?

I see, good points, but you still will need to activate and deactivate them in game. I would go with a fade out, the particles need a color, img -> http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=75874 One more idea would be having particle presets, where you could save the particle settings and load them. That will allow for selecting premade particles like: fire, smoke, etc...

During runtime you can use

setBehaviorVariable(object, 0, "ParticlesNumber", 0)

to deactivate the particle system. I do not want to make an API call in the engine itself since the particle system code is in a modular behavior which is not in the core engine. It should be treated as any other behavior you load in your native game plugin.

If we had a bool variable the code would look very similar:

setBehaviorVariable(object, 0, "Active", false)

Colors are currently not possible since I use the color attribute array to copy other per particle data to the GPU. I have to think about it some more.

Fade out will be implemented. No problems there. Same for rotation.

Premade particle systems should be made using the integrated prefab feature. I'm currently writing code to improve behavior handling (and plugin debugging). Then you can easily package all textures and prefab files in a zip and distribute them.

I introduced multithreading for particle systems by the way. That way they are basically for free on the CPU side what means that you can simulate more particles with the same framerate. Keep in mind that it still is limited by your graphics hardware.

The next daily version will be uploaded as soon as the prefab plugin supports particle systems.

Thx, for the clarification. Sounds like a good update. One more question, what about if you want to loop the particles only ones, like for example an explosion?
Edit: a little off topic, i see that you setup a forum, but i dont see a register button?

Last edited by Akira_san (2014-08-24 13:23:31)

The behavior save feature is now integrated into the prefab plugin. Please download the current daily version and test it to spot possible mistakes.

I already thought about some sort of loop option but did not get around doing it yet.

I'm thinking about moving this discussion here over to my own webspace since we discuss mostly non-Maratis related things. I did not setup the login plugin for wordpress yet but it will be ready soon (i.e. tomorrow big_smile).

What I in fact did set up is a small asset catalogue.
I uploaded a test prefab which you can find here: http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?wpcpro … oke-prefab

It only works with the current daily version and newer.

Have fun testing big_smile