Re: New Maratis scene editor based on the FLTK toolkit

Ok, i think ive spotted a bug. Open the particle prefab, change the image. The texture stay the same in the editor.

Fixed it. The behavior now checks if the texture has changed and reloads it if needed.

I implemented the looping option by the way. If looping is disabled the particle system emits one blast of particles at a time. You have to trigger it by setting "Emitting" to true. After the particles are created "Emitting" will be set to false and you can now set it to true again to generate another bulk of particles.

I hope it's understandable how it works big_smile

I will upload these changes later today as a daily build.

Will have to test it.

It's online now.

Have fun with it big_smile

I ported the YoFrankie demo to have something to play around with.

You can find it here: http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?page_id=90
Have fun!

I managed to crash the particles, after creating a new scene and going back and forward between the scenes and changing some values. But cant reproduce it now. After going to the new created scene you still see the objects from the first scene.

I fixed the scene reloading issue. Was an one liner.

I could not reproduce the crash either. Can't be fixed without reproducing it.

The time has come to release the third version of Neo!

Introducing: Neo 0.3!

There are quite a few new features. Check them out!
Link: http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?p=211

Have fun with it!

New bug: loading a single image in the camera skybox textures and deleting the camera-> "dell key" will crash the editor also the path is added with C:/ level.level->"skyboxTextures="C:/Users/Plamen/Desktop/MyGame/""
Using an atlas instead of single images will lower the draw calls, what do you think?

good job, Sponk!!!
is it possible to implement the creation of primitives? createCube(), createSphere() and so on?

Hey sponk, great job ! some additional notes here :

Usability:

Navigation : It doesn't save the translate value (navigation) on re-opening

Navigation : while i love the WASD navigation method, it's not working for azerty keyboards. im currently using my joystick along with xpadder to navigate but its .. well.. not so convenient tongue

Problems:

Lights : Spot.
The checkbox of the spot, got reset when clicking in the 3d space then clicking on the light once again.
To activate spot, you must currently click on spot checkbox then tweak the spot angle. otherwise it is not working

You can't see camera preview. this one is a very, very big problem to me.

Various:

Minor and personnal taste here, is it possible to get full white input boxes, like the screens on your site ? on windows they are all grey to white gradients, that doesnt looks very good.

Thank you guys for testing!

Akira_san: I messed up the path saving. It should work better in one of the next daily builds.

ant0n: Yes, it is possible. I was already thinking about that but did not come around to think about how to do this in a clean fashion. There are some other (serious) usability problems that need to be addressed first.

Vegas: The controls are currently hardcoded to WASD. The plan is to have easy to change profiles written in Lua to allow a more in depth control. It's on my todo list big_smile

Currently you can't save any editor related settings. I wanted to do that in favour of a settings dialog where you can control all aspects of the editor i.e. input profile, theme etc.

The camera preview should be quite easy to do. Just render the current scene with the selected camera in a viewport in one corner of the window.

You can find the exact todo list for the next release here: https://github.com/Sponk/NeoEditor/milestones/0.4

Thank you very much for your time! I appreciate it!

I implemented basic theme settings.
You can now change the theme colors as well as the scheme.

Vegas: This should fix your color-gradient issue smile

It's already online as a daily build.
Have fun!

Tested it. Needs a restore to default theme if you do a mess. How about editor font size? If your vision is not so good.

Splendid ! thank you wink

Yeah, a "Set to default" is really needed.

About the font size: I think it should be big enough for everyone to read. I will think about if it is neccessary to modify this.

Vegas: What keys do you use instead of WASD? I need the info for the input plugin

Sponk wrote:

Vegas: What keys do you use instead of WASD? I need the info for the input plugin

The difference is that Q is swapped with A and W is swapped with Z
so my binds instead of WASD should be ZQSD
Azerty keyboard picture : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ … France.svg

I like using the blender3d controls, they are similar to the Maratis editor.
Middle mouse button = rotate the view
Shift + Middle mouse button = pan the view
Mouse wheel = zoom

I implemented basic input profiles. They're basically Lua plugins which register an input update function and get access to your current editor view. You can select your preferred input method in the configuration dialog.

Vegas: You should now be able to use Neo properly big_smile

Akira_san: Yes, this is possible to make using an input plugin. I will definitely include it in Neo to select in the config dialog.

However, I will write a small howto on creating plugins. It's quite easy but needs explanation. Then you can make your very own input profile based on Maratis, Blender or any other 3D application.

The daily build is now online. Have fun with it!

Cool, thx. smile
You can now write plugins just with lua no c++?

Yep, all Lua big_smile
Since 0.2 tongue

Link: https://github.com/Sponk/NeoEditor/blob … tInput.lua
That is the default input method. Does need mouse handling though. That's still done in C++ code.

This editor is just too buggy and glitchy for me right now. The interface (with the windows '95) sorta throws off the experience also.

But, I do like that there is active progress. I'll keep an eye on it.

I see, thats really great to know! You should make some article about it.

Akira_san: Yes, I should make more documentation about everything. The code is currently a fast moving target so I don't think that it's just right to start with it now.

Tutorial Doctor: What problems did you experience? If there are serious bugs they need to be fixed!

Discussions about themes are subjective. There is hardly any perfect solution for everybody big_smile

I don't think that it looks like win95. It probably could, but it doesn't by default.
By the way: You can customize colors and the scheme used. Do so if you don't like the default theme (You might need a daily build for that).

Then again: It's not about the looks of your tool that makes a great game! People won't say: "The game must be good because the editor looks so nice". I know that the UI does not look as sexy as some OS X tool but it does not need to. It needs to be functional.