Re: New Maratis scene editor based on the FLTK toolkit

I agree about the documentation.

There is a new daily build online.
It contains optimizations for skyboxes, a warp to object feature when double clicking it and a preview when selecting a camera in the scene.

Have fun with it!

Thanks for the navigation input & Cam preview wink

some more issues :

- Sounds : I can't see the sound files (.wav in this case) in the explorer when i click
on "add sound", even if *.wav and *.ogg are available in the filetype field.
I have to set it to "All files" to see the sound, but then the editor is crashing when i'm trying to load the sound

- Particles :  they seems to be "bursting" like 4 or 5 times before looping seamlessly,
also it seems i cant play particles slowly regardless of the settings, they are always moving at very high speed
(was trying to make something similar to this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taHM2uEw9_c )

- User Experience : Imo there are too much windows poping up when launching the game :

1) The Game window (obviously) tongue
2) A empty black cmd window (?)
3) A nameless window with frames/frametime statistics but seems it's updating only when i'm closing
the game window so i can't make use of the print() command
(if i'm trying to select the window while the game is running, it will stop responding)

Is it possible to get rid of the black cmd window, and incorporate the statistics window in the game window,
as a console maybe ?

And question, what is the load prefab (load .md files) under the plugin tab ?

Hm. The player window should not have the cmd window.
Did you try "Project=>Update Player"? Maybe you use an old version for your project.

The nameless frame (Which has a name now big_smile) should normally display all output from your game. Even those done using print in Lua. It stops responding since it waits for data from the game which halts when the Window is not selected. I did not find any solution for that problem yet. We would need non-blocking I/O for that which it could easily be done on Linux but not on Windows and others. Maybe I will do the update stuff in a different thread. Let's see how that works out.

More exact profiling will be in the editor itself. I'm working on an in-editor play feature. The problem here is the structural difference between the editor and the player. You can take data about rendering times or script execution precisely but overall speed will not match the player.

With the load/save plugin menu you can save object configurations to a file which you can load in other scenes/levels or even projects to reuse your work. Note that you have to copy all needed assets when using it in another project. I used it to create a smoke particle system for easy drop in into projects: http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?wpcpro … oke-prefab

Well, you can't see any sound file because the wildcard was not working. I don't know why but I fixed it.
Could you send me the sound file causing the crash? Because all files I tested worked without problems.

About your particle system: You need to set "LifeDivergence" to a high enough value. I found that about 1/3 of the life time is useful for this. Those values are given in ms btw.
You can control the speed with the "SpeedMultiplier" value. Set it to 0.1 or smaller and you will have a much lower velocity.

I hope this helps smile

Right, thanks for the infos wink

By the way i'm always using the latest daily development build, i re-downloaded it right now just in case,
The invisible + crash sound bug is still there, aswel as the cmd window popping up
Anyway, here's the sound file : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/199 … ndtest.wav

And this prefab system is awesome !

The new version is still uploading right now. You will be able to grab it tomorrow.

The prefab system needs much more testing but I think you're right big_smile

I made some snow btw.
http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?wpcproduct=snow-prefab *click*

Hehe thanks wink looking forward for the next build !

Also, one more big problem here :
while the projects made with Neo are working fine, i'm unable to run projects made with the vanilla version of maratis (tried about 7 differents projects) - the weird thing is, even when getting rid of almost everything in the scene except a few boxes, and no scripts attached, it still doesn't run.
Everything is fine in the editor but then on launching, the famous "nameless" tongue window pops up, with nothing inside, and that's all.

About the Tree list :
- suggestion : Ability to select multiples objects from the tree list
And, how do you manage "Groups" ?

About the warp :
I think it would better to keep some distance with the object, like with maratis "F" key, or Blender "dot",  be wrapped  inside the object doesn't really helps wink
And there is a small problem : once you warp  then navigate without re-clicking on the 3d scene, when you move your mouse again, it reset the view at the center of the object, until you click again.

Hm... You could send me an example? I tested all Maratis examples from the website and they worked, both in the editor and in the player.

Grouping is as simple as assigning a group as the parent of an object. It is only for organization and not necessary in any way.

There already was a discussion about the warp feature in GitHub. It currently only sets the position which should be ok for now. The idea is to calculate the position on the surface of a sphere which completely encloses the selection.

You have to reclick the 3D scene since it loses focus when double clicking in the list. To interact with the scene you have then to re-focus the graphics view in the middle. I do that automatically now when setting the position.

Thanks for your wav file! I tested it and found that the editor/player does not crash. Instead it had some glitches while playing. To work around this you could either convert it to ogg or make the sound mono. I'm working on this bug.

EDIT: You try to use a 32bit float encoded file. OpenAL only supports 16bit PCM files at max. Convert your file and everything should work.

Last edited by Sponk (2014-09-03 09:37:46)

Ah that's right, i completely forgot about the bit rate of the sounds hmm

For the problem of Neo being unable to play standard maratis projects,
i tried with more projects, none is working, so any example will do.
let's take this one :
http://forum.maratis3d.com/viewtopic.php?id=138

Note, I tried both the installer and the zip version, same results

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on

Ive noticed, that save as level dont add the extension .level after saving.

Edit: The water demo crashes on loading it. The light flash dont crash here. OS Win732b gfx ati R7 200 series, just notices that my videocard only supports OpenGL 4.3! I guess i need to update my drv.

Last edited by Akira_san (2014-09-03 16:34:16)

Akira_san: You don't need newer graphics hardware or drivers. It works for me on a GL3.0 machine.
You need to recompile the game plugin with the headers and libs from the Neo SDK. Then everything works fine.

Vegas: About your project issue: Just press "Project->Update Player" when this happens.

That will copy the player executable and all needed files into your project directory.
Then you can execute it.

Vegas: About your project issue: Just press "Project->Update Player" when this happens.

I'm not that dumb tongue but i have found the problem, it was : spaces! the project won't work if there's a space in the name of the current or even previous folders.
it seems to be the case for textures paths too (not 100% sure, but i don't see what else it could be).
beside that, it works ! wink

Ok, good to know big_smile
I will experiment with that a little. Maybe I can fix it smile

Noticed something, you cant duplicate a group.

I uploaded a new daily build!

Akira_san: You can now duplicate groups. It won't actually clone all children though.

I additionally implemented a first version of a Maratis like input method. You can select it in the configuration dialog.
Please tell me if you notice any huge difference big_smile

I also experimented with the warp feature a little. Please give me some feedback how you like it now smile
(There are still some update issues. I'm on it.)

There are some glitches with the translation speed and rotation speed. I need to look into that. Also I did not have the time to check on the spaces problem. I will look into that this weekend.

For all who don't know: You can download the development version on my website: http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?page_id=83

Vegas: I don't get the cmd window anymore. Please tell me if you do big_smile

Have fun!

Warp : this is way better than before, it works good on middle-sized object, but for small size object the view comes a bit too close for me (but overall it's fine smile)

Maratis inputs : the view is also rotating on the Y axis when you hold middle mouse button, making it quite impossible to navigate correctly, you should lock it

And unfortunately, the cmd window is still there sad but no need to kill yourself removing it now, as it's not showing during the editing process, it's just a minor annoyance

Ok, I will leave the warp feature this way for now big_smile

I fixed the input axis. It now rotates like it should (I compared it with default Maratis)
The cmd window should definitely not show. I don't know why it does...

I fixed the space issue when launching the player. I hope it works now tongue

What is completely new is the possibility to add meshes/sounds/fonts by dragging and dropping them into the scene view from your file manager (i.e. explorer on Windows).
Please tell me how well it works for you big_smile

All changes are available in the current daily build.

You can download the development version on my website: http://scary-squid.de/wordpress/?page_id=83
Have fun!

Two bad news sad
- For the space issue, i'm getting stuck at profiler window in all projects now (even those with no space)
- For Drag & Drop, i see the little "+" next to the cursor when i'm dragging an object (mesh, sound or font) over the editor window, but nothing happen when releasing

Oh and about inputs : is it possible to make a mix-up of WASD/ZQSD view movement + maratis view (middle mouse rotation) ? this would be the perfect combo imo

Ok, I did not test on Windows. I will see what's wrong with drag'n'drop and the launch issues.

About the input: That's exactly why all input is done by a Lua plugin: It is no big deal to do that! tongue

Please retest. It should work now.
Btw: I included your new input method big_smile

And you can reparent objects by drag'n'drop now
The new binaries are online.

Sounds like a cool new features, testing time! How about dragndrop of project files too?

Great, both issues are fixed smile and thanks for the new input.
just one weird thing : it imports a sound object when i drag&drop a font (.otf) file

Yeah, it checks for the file extension. If it is unknown then it loads it as a sound. I need a way to tell file types better apart.
Any ideas?

Akira_san: Could be implemented. The same for level files.

Last edited by Sponk (2014-09-06 14:40:19)

My mistake, the space issue is back hmm

For files types, as there's not much files types to be used,
maybe allow some, and display a message when it's not one of those :

maratis : MESH, LEVEL, MPROJ
text : OTF, TTF
sound : OGG, WAV, AIFF
+ those supported by assimp ?

Noticed another bug, i tried a project who got key inputs in a object oriented script,
sometimes i have to press the key more than 10 times to trigger my action,
i'm gonna do some more test before sending you the file

Spaces are not nice. But Windows likes to use them...

You problems with the key input is about a timing problem between the update thread and the rendering thread. If the rendering takes too long then the update will not be called often enough for your input to get through.

I will do the drag'n'drop thingy exactly like you say. Sounds reasonable to me big_smile