Topic: Texturing large terrain

Hey guys, I need help. So i'm making a large terrain for my game, i'll link images. it is 8 rooms, each a separate mesh. I began texturing the first room and unsure of how to make the texture high-res enough for the large mesh I've been working as follows:
I have 5 UV maps, 4 of which are something like 525 by 525, with the UV's scaled up really big so the image tiles over the whole room small enough to not pixelate on the mesh. Each of these 4 maps has a different image(one with sand,rock,gravel,etc.). Then i have one large 4096x4096 image With the UV fit to the image so each part of the mesh can be painted specifically. Then i'm going through the room and clone painting from each of the 4 tiled textures onto the 4096 base image. This worked well for a while but it got more and more slow and laggy until i was about halfway done with the first and now i can't work at all. I open up blender and try to start painting and it will run fine until the second i start trying to paint, blender will freeze and crash. I know there has to be a better way to texture the terrain without having such an enormous UV texture, i would assume that is what is causing blender to crash. I really don't know and i am pretty new to this but please tell me how to fix this. I really hope there is a way to get it running correctly again and not have to start over texturing using a completely new method as i am already very far behind and have deadlines for this project. Thanks in advanced.
http://imgur.com/vuqpaPm
http://imgur.com/hMUptJS

Re: Texturing large terrain

Hi,

4 textures of 512x512 + 1 texture of 4096x4096 is not so enormous,
are you sure your Blender scene is clean of other textures in memory ?

It could be a memory issue with Blender, try 2 things :
- After working for a while, if it starts slowing, stop painting and save your file, close Blender and re-open it.
- Try changing the preferences of Blender : File > User Preferences > Editing > "Undo" : set the "Memory Limit" and reduce "Steps"

Thanks anael, It was a matter of the extra objects in memory, i appended the single object i was working on from the full terrain scene into another blend file and textured it there and saved the UV map from that file.

Alrights, so this sort of works, but i have to restart blender every 30 seconds and just texture bit by bit. I still have a long ways to go on this project and i can't go forward like this. Anyone else know a better way? Or maybe a good external texturing program that i can just export my map from to blender when i'm done?

I desperately need a new solution, I open blender, put down my brush, and it crashes.

Hmm, care to share the file to try and see how its going to behave with ati video? Also you could try to ask for help on the blenderartists forum.

You should definitively make a bug report to Blender and send your file with it :
https://developer.blender.org/maniphest … /type/Bug/

Now, I'll suggest you try an older version of Blender in case it's a new bug.

Thank you so much anael! for the time being, it is working great in 2.67, where i had been working in 2.71.

cool smile you are welcome,
enjoy.

Let me know how your project goes.