Topic: Performance improvement and new example

Hi there !

I'm working on a new example using "Yo Frankie" models,
Yo Frankie is the first Blender foundation open-game.

http://www.maratis3d.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/YoFrankieMaratis.jpg

I also used this time to improve drawing performance by using early-z rejection,
making this example running from 20 fps to 40 fps on my laptop, with 2 dynamic lights/shadows.
I will post more news soon on the website.

Cheer,

Anaël.

Re: Performance improvement and new example

fun stuff smile I hope this evolves to something really nice smile

Example and new release are ready !
http://www.maratis3d.org/?page_id=13

I'll describe soon how to reproduce this example in a tutorial.

Cheers !
Anaël.

Have you made its images on your own? And what about the graphic settings? How have you made its settings? Thanks...!

anael wrote:

Hi there !

I also used this time to improve drawing performance by using early-z rejection,
making this example running from 20 fps to 40 fps on my laptop, with 2 dynamic lights/shadows.
I will post more news soon on the website.

Cheer,

Anaël.

Hi there, and sorry for late reply on this topic:
Isn't even 40 fps on this tiny scene rather poor, or is your gpu/cpu combo really low tech ?

NO offense, just hoping this engine is capable of epic scenes, as if not it will not work for my needs.

cheers and best to this engine wink
gm

Hi, test was done on a laptop, not the best for 3d,
the scene is also not so light, using full pixel lightning with multiple passes and 2 dynamic soft shadows.

This scene is running at 60fps on my 3 years old desktop computer.

anael wrote:

Hi, test was done on a laptop, not the best for 3d,
the scene is also not so light, using full pixel lightning with multiple passes and 2 dynamic soft shadows.

This scene is running at 60fps on my 3 years old desktop computer.

That might be enough then, as noted earlier from you, that exported out from a 3d app ( after slicing up before hand ), it would ease up requirements.

Does this easing up also apply to objects/lighting in each zone or just objects ? ( culling as in)

thx
gm

Hi am using Unity 3d and i found this place here.

I like Maratis i have full control of the game engine bud am not familiar with Lua and dont now much about c++ .

wen using this yo Frankie i get everything bud no texture.

i now yo Frankie from blender am learning to use blender.

is there any way to use c# instead of c++.

That might be enough then, as noted earlier from you, that exported out from a 3d app ( after slicing up before hand ), it would ease up requirements.

Does this easing up also apply to objects/lighting in each zone or just objects ? ( culling as in)

thx
gm

It's better to divide a big scene in multiple objects so the engine can eliminate the ones out of the screen,
there is a camera culling at object and sub-mesh level, and a basic occlusion culling.

Also, a lot of games use only baked lightning and simpler shaders.
This Yo Frankie test is a showcase, so it's more heavy in light that it needs to be for a final game.

Hi am using Unity 3d and i found this place here.

I like Maratis i have full control of the game engine bud am not familiar with Lua and dont now much about c++ .

wen using this yo Frankie i get everything bud no texture.

i now yo Frankie from blender am learning to use blender.

is there any way to use c# instead of c++.

Hi, welcome,
about your bug, try to be sure your computer is using recent 3d drivers, Maratis uses opengl.

If your computer is old or with a internal 3d chipset (included with the motherboard),
it's possible that the card doesn't support shaders or textures which are not with a power of two size (128x128, 256x512...).

The scipting is done in lua, and to access the engine SDK you need c++ (not very different than c#).

I play wow and star sonata a 3d and 2d games and shade work fine am thinking wen i bring the yo frankie to the game engine it docent call the texture,on unity 3d i use deference shade and particle like water,snow,fire,and particle wen character teleport to another place

On c# i will try to get a converted from c# to C++ ,I wen to lua and i star to read about it hoping to get this language fast

I wan you to now am not a professional bud am a beginner in this game making